photo-sensitive glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dorothy

photo-sensitive glass

Post by dorothy »

Does anyone teach or know where to learn about "photo-sensitive glass" as used by Barbara Van Cleve? I have a fusing student who is eager to learn about it and I would like to give them the information.
Many thanks,
dorothy hafner, NYC
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Are you talking about photochromic glass? The type that gets darker with increased UV light?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
David Williams

Re: photo-sensitive glass

Post by David Williams »

dorothy wrote:Does anyone teach or know where to learn about "photo-sensitive glass" as used by Barbara Van Cleve? I have a fusing student who is eager to learn about it and I would like to give them the information.
Many thanks,
dorothy hafner, NYC
Hey Dorothy, Gaffer I believe is marketing a few photosensitive colors. Go check out the Olympic color rods site. Also, Spruce Pine has been selling a photosensitive concentrate for a long time, for adding to batch or cullet furnace melt. If I were a sheet glass company, I think a photosensitive color might be an innovative new product to attract fusers to my line. I mean, as an alternative to whining about the competition. I also heard there was going to be a presentation by Gaffer at GAS Seattle. Good luck, love your work.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Dorothy, I' ve heard that Ms. Van Cline has a propriatary technique involving the photo-sensitive glass and doesn't teach her process, but thats just hearsay from my circle. It is a wonderful process and there are many people in the field that would love to learn it, including myself. Maybe someday someone will "break the code" so that some of us could use it in our work. I have tried several experiments in my darkroom, of which Ive had poor results and have given up. Oy vey!