Selling Art Glass From a Website

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

David Paterson

Selling Art Glass From a Website

Post by David Paterson »

Does anybody try to sell glass directly from their website? Or is the website just used for promation, and as a reference for shops and galleries that order wholesale?

And if you do try to sell directly off the website, do you use a "shopping cart", which seems somewhat awkard for an individual piece of glass, or do you collect payment and get shipping info some other way?
Bert Weiss

Re: Selling Art Glass From a Website

Post by Bert Weiss »

David Paterson wrote:Does anybody try to sell glass directly from their website? Or is the website just used for promation, and as a reference for shops and galleries that order wholesale?

And if you do try to sell directly off the website, do you use a "shopping cart", which seems somewhat awkard for an individual piece of glass, or do you collect payment and get shipping info some other way?
People contact me. Sales/Commissions are done through Email and telephone.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

David - I'm about to roll out shopping on my web site. I built the catalog/store and shopping cart myself so that it would better handle the one-of-a-kind store. I couldn't find an off-the-shelf package that understood to take something out of inventory as soon as it went into someone's cart -- and then put it back if they don't check out.

- Paul
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

I've been selling from my website for ohhhhhhhhh 6 years or so..... I'm not going to kid you and say it's easy. It's not hard to maintain a site but it is work and there is a learning curve. I was a programmer in my former life so for me it's a given.

I take orders every week from my site and it is a substantial portion of my income. I do both retail and wholesale business from my site...

I use a cart for retail. I have one for wholesale but buyers usually prefer to chat on the phone.

http://www.GlassOrchids.com

~Nancy
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

David,

I use my website as a type of online portfolio. While I don't directly sell on line, I have many inquiries and the occassional commissioned piece. I did list a few things with one "art" site but the costs aren't worth it and they have since added a whole plethora of "stuff" to fill the pages. Had to try it though just to see where it goes and I don't plan to keep it there after my time is up.

I've found the website is a great tool when you do shows, meet wholesale clients and other type of associates (architects, designers) who might want more information. Saves me a lot of MY time when folks are looking for that "right" piece of art or just want some information about me.
Marty

Post by Marty »

David- I use mine as promo/catalog. Retail prices are posted, galleries are advised to call. I need to talk to the buyer, retail or w/s. Very few direct sales but saves a fortune in printing and mailing. Good for credibility too. Marty