90 coe small frit on float

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Hassur

90 coe small frit on float

Post by Linda Hassur »

I am making some fish and have a limited amt of 90 coe glass onhand. I was wondering if I'd have lots of problems if I used BE frit on float. There are 2 layers 1/8" each and a maximum length of 10-12 inches. The frit would be on the top layer. I'd appreciate any information. Thanks Linda
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

If the frit is just on the top (tack fused), it won't cause your piece to break, but I think you'll find that some of the frit pops off. If you full fuse it into the float, it will crack the piece.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Lisa, I did a little more than tac fused more of almost a contour fuse of BE frit on a flattened bottle that seems to be just fine. There is a good deal of relief texture but the frit is not coming off. This thing gets picked up and touched all the time. This one turned out so well I plan on doing more on them, watch the next one will be in pieces in a couple of days. :lol:
Nanc
Nanc
Linda Hassur

Post by Linda Hassur »

I'm actually going to use BE powders. Anyone have any experience with 90 coe powders on float? Linda
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I fused bullseye frit to float in between layers. It was a tack fuse. Around each of the frit granules, there was a nice little fracture ring. Still pretty, but not recommended. When enamels or powders etc. don't match coe, then you will have fracturing. I have some nice enamel work that is cracked where supposedly matching coes weren't matching. It always shows up later if there is a problem. They were fine when taken out of the kiln but the cracks gradually appeared and grew and grew over a period of weeks. Kevin
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

hi.
I thought I'd experiment with free 1/4 in float for a cheeseboard and the BE frit cracked through out the small stencil i used. Switched to experimenting with paint!!
jeri
Laurie Young

Post by Laurie Young »

I have had some success working with B'eye powders on float. When put under a stressometer there is a stress halo, but so far nothing has cracked or broken. I was just sifting a layer thru a stencil, so the actual amount of glass is evenly spread and not very thick, which may give you a better chance than with frit. I leave plenty of clear float between the patterns too- not a continuous layer of powder. I have also used B'eye confetti with float, and three years down the track there are no problems.....
CR LOO makes powders that are compatible with float if you are worried about it.
jake blues

frit for plate

Post by jake blues »

i have used wasser frit on plate many a time 100's the size was up to 15 inch sq.. i used enough for a even coating. mixed up all the different colors. after firing i sand blasted into it with no side effects.
now i have to say this was with the wasser that was produced 4-6 years ago i have not had any dealing with the new company.

for years i have been using bullseye 90 frit on spectrum 96 sheet glass.
NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. i started using the bull frit on the spec because i was sandblasting and had a problem blasting through the bull base glass cause its
not totally flat. the frit would fill in the valleys of the bullseye i would be on top of the hill one second and blast through the glass in the valley the next. got tired of the scrap glass
i used bull because spec did not offer a frit now they do but old habits die hard
i have even mixed the 2 frits together no problems.
largest glass i have done is 24X24 inch using both power and fine bullseye done over 200 pieces using both companys glass

after fusing the 90 and 96 together i have slumped the finished pieces again no problem

never had any luck with bull frit and plate it would last through the firing cycle and then explode after taking it out of the kiln
Barbara Muth

Re: frit for plate

Post by Barbara Muth »

jake blues wrote: never had any luck with bull frit and plate it would last through the firing cycle and then explode after taking it out of the kiln
Jake are you saying that when you fused bullseye frit to bullseye sheet glass it exploded when you took it out of the kiln? Was the glass properly annealed?
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
charlie

Re: frit for plate

Post by charlie »

Barbara Muth wrote:
jake blues wrote: never had any luck with bull frit and plate it would last through the firing cycle and then explode after taking it out of the kiln
Jake are you saying that when you fused bullseye frit to bullseye sheet glass it exploded when you took it out of the kiln? Was the glass properly annealed?
i think he's saying bullseye frit and plate glass.