Use Diamond Blade on Metal?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Bush

Use Diamond Blade on Metal?

Post by Paul Bush »

I think I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway. Would I ruin my diamond blade in my tile saw if I used it to cut a strip of thin aluminum? I have to install a new door sweep thing on the bottom of my front door, and need to cut it to length. I can use a hack saw, but thought this would be faster if it didn't cost me a new diamond blade.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

it might not ruin it... right away. But aluminum has a habit of loading up any grinding tool, and a diamond blade is a grinding tool... it may render the blade unusable... or not. Let us know

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Re: Use Diamond Blade on Metal?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Paul Bush wrote:I think I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway. Would I ruin my diamond blade in my tile saw if I used it to cut a strip of thin aluminum? I have to install a new door sweep thing on the bottom of my front door, and need to cut it to length. I can use a hack saw, but thought this would be faster if it didn't cost me a new diamond blade.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

Just get a metal cutting wheel for any saw. They are inexpensive. I have a metal chop saw. it is just a simple chop saw with the right blade. It is an abrasive round blade.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Just get out the old trusty Armstrong Saw and have at it. I'll bet you're diamond blade wouldn't even do more than scratch the aluminum, it's too soft and gummy.

Ron
BobB

metal cutting blades

Post by BobB »

This company sells abrasive metal cutting blades cheap.
http://www.kingmetals.com/Pages/Page18.html
Any Home Depot or Lowes will sell the same. All you need to know is what size blade 7" or 10" (depending on your saw) and the saws arbor size (the hole in the middle of the blade). I've used them on circular saws, chop saw. Be careful where you do your cutting as these things will send out a spray of sparks as they cut. For $2.00 to $8.00 you can buy one of these blades and not ruin your $50.00 diamond blades.

BobB
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Paul Bush wrote:I think I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway. Would I ruin my diamond blade in my tile saw if I used it to cut a strip of thin aluminum? I have to install a new door sweep thing on the bottom of my front door, and need to cut it to length. I can use a hack saw, but thought this would be faster if it didn't cost me a new diamond blade.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

Just get a metal cutting wheel for any saw. They are inexpensive. I have a metal chop saw. it is just a simple chop saw with the right blade. It is an abrasive round blade.
Duh - that's too easy. Thanks for the wake up Bert.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

You can cut thin ( one eighth or less) aluminum with just about any wood cutting blade. Carbide works easiest, plywood next best. Feed through slow and watch for " grab" by the teeth on the blades. Some people used to say ' f reverse the blade', but you don't have to, really. :)
charlie

Post by charlie »

Thanks,

Paul
yes, almost instantly.

i just cut some 1/3" al angle brackets today with a metal cutting blade on my jig saw. didn't take too long. lubricate with a little light oil of any type. if it's thin, you can use a table saw. don't stand in line with the blade, since if it grabs, it'll get thrown back at you like a metal bowler hat (obscure james bond movie reference).
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Charlie:

To those of us of a certain age (and for whom Sean Connery is the ONLY James Bond) that's not an obscure movie reference at all.

Pat in Chicago
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Pat Zmuda wrote:Charlie:

To those of us of a certain age (and for whom Sean Connery is the ONLY James Bond) that's not an obscure movie reference at all.

Pat in Chicago
Amen! And thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll just go buy a metal blade for my chop saw, then I'll have it for future uses.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon