Does silicone II adhesive survive a dishwasher?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cliff Swanson

Does silicone II adhesive survive a dishwasher?

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I'm using GE Silicon II adhesive to attach feet made from glass marbles to the bottom of some plates I hope will sell at a gift buying event later this year. The only caveat on the product tube notes that the stuff is not for surfaces that will exceed 400 F. Seems like the bond would be durable in 140 F water, but I'm soliciting everyone's advice or experience with this so I can inform prospective buyers.

Thanks,

Cliff
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

We have coffee mugs for the boat with that silicon in a ring around the bottoms. It keeps them from sliding. I've been putting in them in the dishwasher for 3 years now and it's still fine.
It's only attached to the mug though and nothing else, so it could make a difference.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

maybe glue some marbles onto smallish pieces of glass, put them in the dishwasher, and leave them there for a week or two, see what the silicone looks like after a bunch of washings at 180F. it might get cloudy or yellow. or maybe it wont. experimentation with a couple of different brands of silicone thru repeated washings might be worthwhile.
charlie

Post by charlie »

the heat cycle gets way hotter than 140. it's got the equivalent of an oven element in the bottom, so bottom shelf items get even hotter than top shelf items.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i said 180.
charlie

Post by charlie »

i know, but i've seen steam coming out of my dishwasher. you need over 212F to get steam. temps local to the heating coil are probably in the 250F range or higher i would guess.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

yes, mine steams, too! i guess it's 212F in there. which is kinda nice ... really sanitizes!
gone

Post by gone »

My shower steams, too. Am I getting boiled?

Els
charlie

Post by charlie »

vapor isn't steam.
Brock

Post by Brock »

charlie wrote:vapor isn't steam.
What? I mist that.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I siliconed two marbles onto a piece of scrap. It's been through the dishwasher twice so far with no problem... just FYI

Cliff
Jim Gregory

Post by Jim Gregory »

I repaired a rusted out hole near the botton of my dishwasher with silicon II. Over a year has past, still not leaking!
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I'm using GEII on a sign for the studio that is outdoors. About 80 pcs or so of glass are glued to a substrate of concrete board hung vertically. In the summer it gets to well over 100F, and in the winter it's seen 10 below. It's about five years old now. Interestingly the only failure I've seen has been when water got behind a piece, froze, and popped the glass off. Yank hard enough and anything will give.