Saws & Grinding Equipment

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Louise

Saws & Grinding Equipment

Post by Louise »

I am taking the plunge into studio equipment and am confused by all the info. Any recommendations between the Taurus & Gryphon, band, ring or wire. And grinder/polishers.... flat, belt,disk, Hitech, Glastar, Covington? I want something that will last in small production. :roll:
Brock

Post by Brock »

Depends. What are you going to produce? Brock
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Louise,

You can get a bunch of info in the archives - click on Search or Old Archive (this is the old BB) and enter your search topic - lots of good threads on these topics. I recall reading a good thread in the old archive comparing Taurus and Gryphon. I can't offer you much advice as I am just getting started with a small jewelry set up. I was going to buy a Taurus 3 but after reviewing what my needs really are I decided to get a small trim saw for making straight cuts on tiles and small pattern bars. Hope this helps you out somewhat.

Susan
Louise

Post by Louise »

Wow, thanks for the fast replies. I'm new to this board. I'm doing some jewelry but mostly plates and bowls up to 22" and don't know much about "cold-working".

Thanks y'all,
Louise
Brock

Post by Brock »

A wet belt sander is good for grinding/polishing edges, but not so good for flst bases. A flat lap is good for bases, but not so good for edges. A saw is . . . well, you know.

My most used cold working tools in order are:

Sandblaster

WBS

FL

Saw

Punty Grinder

Different people would have those in different orders. Brock
SarahM.

tools

Post by SarahM. »

I just got a Somaca (spelled right?) vertical wet belt sander...it's my first piece of "real" equipment. It's almost set up, I can post pictures as soon as it's finished. It's orange and a beauty! We went with Somaca for a number of reasons, but one was customer service. A representative auctually came to my studio (down from Portland to Eugene-2 hours) the same day I called "with a few questions." So that really sold me, not to mention the price and quality seemed very similiar to other models, like the CRLawrence. I also received discount deals from the rep on belts. And did I mention it's orange?!

Now I could use some info on flat laps....and yes, I'm checking the archives! :>

Sarah

p.s. Just got into the magnet exchange-yaa hoo
charlie

Re: tools

Post by charlie »

SarahM. wrote:Now I could use some info on flat laps....and yes, I'm checking the archives! :>

Sarah

p.s. Just got into the magnet exchange-yaa hoo
keep checking on ebay. i just got an 8" with 2 diamond laps that is almost new for $150 off there. the laps alone run ~$50 each.
SarahM.

tools

Post by SarahM. »

If I can sneak another cold working question in here...
what do you want to look for when purchasing a flat lap? What are the brand names....The belt sander was much easier...
Thanks, Sarah
Tami C

Post by Tami C »

Sara,
I am jealous! I have been looking for a WBS and a flat lap too. I actually called around to windshield shops in the area to see if I could find a used WBS. No luck yet--(sigh) Looking forward to your magnet! Tami C
SarahM.

hello!

Post by SarahM. »

Hi Tami~

I just wanted to give you an excuse to visit me next time your in Eugene!

Happy Magnet Exchanging-almost
Sarah