Quartz element support help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michael

Quartz element support help

Post by Michael »

Can anyone advise me regarding installing quartz tube elements. I've been advised by Duralite to run their tubes through both ends of my kiln (4' long internally) This would mean that the hairpin bend on the element would need to be in an insulated box? on the outer case of the kiln. I'm wondering if keeping the bend within the interior of the kiln roof would have serious disadvantages other than making replacement more difficult. I'm also wondering about the best way to support the tubes along the 4' run. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Michael
Marty

Post by Marty »

Michael- Duralite did mine. I wonder why they have you running the elements outside the kiln? I've got 4 sets of double elements (out and back with a hairpin at the far end), about 80" long running in quartz tubing which is in two 40" sections. Nichrome wire, tied off around stainless fender washers on the top outside of the kiln, supports the tubes (3 ties per 40" length). The hairpin connections are nekkid but give no problems at all. The business ends of each set of elements protrude through the top also but are covered by a metal mesh box for safety.
Email if you need more.
Marty