any suggestions on how to cut bottle necks

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

patriceg

any suggestions on how to cut bottle necks

Post by patriceg »

Any help on how to "CLEAN" cut neck of liquor bottles like GREY GOOSE. be specific please, especially if tools needed
thanks
Cheryl Wade

Post by Cheryl Wade »

I'd like to know too please, not so much the scoring - I've got a nifty little gadget that rets in the mouth of the bottle and scores an even line - but how do you get it to break? I've tried thermal shock, hot water inside/cold out and vice versa; the bottle breaks, but not where I want it to. Can you use direct heat? I've got a kitchen blow torch, the sort you're supposed to use for creme brulees, and other culinary delights I don't make, would that be OK? Temp is 1200C.
Also, would this be OK for making the odd bead?

thanks

Cheryl
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I don't think any of those Mickey Mouse contraptions are going to cut the neck of a Grey Goose. This glass is really thick.

My only suggestion might be to try a tile saw.

Several years ago someone on the board, maybe Charlie, suggested tying a string around the bottom of a bottle; soaking it with lighter fluid then setting it on fire. After the string burns, rub an ice cube on it and it will break. I tried this once on a bottle and it didn't work.

Judy
Marty

Post by Marty »

Tile saw- I've been cutting the thick tops off for rings for my kid (part payment for room steelin')- I think he sells them at school- and the bottoms of the interesting ones for tumblers. Recycling.