Grinding marks from wet tile cutter

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

KateB.

Grinding marks from wet tile cutter

Post by KateB. »

Hi

Another one of my experiments. I have been trialing pot melts and have made myself a 20mm thick square 20cm by 20cm. I then used the wet tile cutter to cut it into 6 mm thick strips so I can turn them on their edge and use them. I read somewhere that as I cut them I should immediately put them into water. I did their but stupidly took them out to dry - I got distracted by kids! Anyway they have dried with a whitish finish which I guess is the residual grinding marks.

So my question is - how do I rectify this?

Many thanks

Kate
KateB.

Re: Grinding marks from wet tile cutter

Post by KateB. »

Me again. Wanted to make sure I got notified of the responses.
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

I think those marks will probably disappear when you fire the strips. Unless you just absolutely have to use each and every one of the strips you made, take one of the ones that's least usable and test fire it along with something else you're doing.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Judd

Post by Judd »

Even if I put them in water, if I don't grind mine I see the cut marks. So, if you have a grinder, grind those puppies with a fine grit. Or, a lap grinder - again use fine grit. If you have neither, you can get some Wet/Dry sandpaper, wet the glass, and have fun!!! WooHoo!!! Nothing like sanding by hand.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I always sandblast anything that has been sawed..it will remove the marks and any residue left from the saw.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I do the same as Jim, never had a problem after blasting.
Bob
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

You can also sprinkle a thin/fine layer of fine frit over the top of the assembled pieces. As indicated by Bullseye in one of their tips.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
KateB.

Post by KateB. »

Some really great ideas. I will try them all and fill the kiln in the process. I will report back. Thanks