gold decals

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cookie

gold decals

Post by cookie »

I have been using hand-cut gold leaf letters. Does anyone know of a source for custom gold leaf decals that I could buy in sheets ?

I fuse them into the glass with a clear glass cover.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Sheets of gold decal paper sounds very wasteful. You can paint on gold luster, it is real gold just like the leaf. You can also make gold decals by printing the gold luster on decal paper and then overcoating with decal overcoat.

You can also go the cheap route and use gold colored mica. Looks good to me.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
korenfish

Post by korenfish »

Bert -
I'm new to fusing gold into glass. You mean you can paint on the luster and then fuse it into the glass, or are you saying to fuse first and pain on the luster after? Do you have any product recommendations for the luster? I want to start including gold in my fusings/castings.

Thanks,

-Stephanie
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

there are several shades of gold lusters made by Hanovia. they come in a little bottle about a third the size of your little finger, and cost about $13. you can buy them at ceramic supply stores. there's artificial gold, and real gold, and the artificial one looks good. they also make some silver colors, but i dont think they fire up very well.

when i've used this, ive applied it before firing the glass, and also after the first firing. because glass spreads a little when it melts, it will alter your design somewhat -- or at least, the potential for that happening is there. also, this stuff fires at a temperature lower than full fuse, and if you get it too hot, it burns off.

you can have real gold decals made for an acceptable price through Wise Decals, in Ohio. that's a real easy route to go, if you want to repeat the same image. Wise advertises frequently in Ceramics Monthly, which is where i first found out about them, some years ago.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Kitty wrote:there are several shades of gold lusters made by Hanovia. they come in a little bottle about a third the size of your little finger, and cost about $13. you can buy them at ceramic supply stores. there's artificial gold, and real gold, and the artificial one looks good. they also make some silver colors, but i dont think they fire up very well.

when i've used this, ive applied it before firing the glass, and also after the first firing. because glass spreads a little when it melts, it will alter your design somewhat -- or at least, the potential for that happening is there. also, this stuff fires at a temperature lower than full fuse, and if you get it too hot, it burns off.

you can have real gold decals made for an acceptable price through Wise Decals, in Ohio. that's a real easy route to go, if you want to repeat the same image. Wise advertises frequently in Ceramics Monthly, which is where i first found out about them, some years ago.
Yes to what Kitty said. Gold colored micas are color stable at fusing temps as opposed to real gold that will disappear or turn pink.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions