Firing silver foil

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Gail L

Firing silver foil

Post by Gail L »

I know that if the foil touches my kiln shelf, it will contaminate it. If the foil doesn't touch the shelf will I be ok ? Will the fumes from the foil have the ability to contaminate the shelf even if its not touching ? Are the fumes going to contaminate the brick in my kiln (I will vent) What temp do I have to vent to ? (1000 ?)
If by chance the foil were to touch the shelf turning the shelf over would resolve the problem ( Yes, I'm sure this is probably a stupid question/statement...just trying to decide if firing silver in my kiln is right for me)
For those of you that have fired silver foil in your kiln what problems (if any ) have you experienced. Am I making a big deal over nothing ? I just don't want to contaminate my brick kiln, or shelf.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Gail L

Re: Firing silver foil

Post by Gail L »

Never mind.... :mrgreen: relentless searching on my part got me the info I needed. Thanks Brad for this wonderful board that contains everything we need to know !