High Temp OOPS

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Bush

High Temp OOPS

Post by Paul Bush »

I just did a high temperature (1700 degrees for two hours) fusing in a stainless steel ring - coated with kiln wash and lined with fiber paper, and sitting on a sheet of 1/8" fiber paper. Some glass still leaked through and stuck to the ring. So I'm looking for any suggestions as to how I might be able to get the fused glass (3/8" by 12") out of the ring without cracking it.

I'm suspecting this may have to become a table top, but thought I'd check in with the experts first.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
charlie

Post by charlie »

i'd try popping it into the freezer or the dishwasher on a hot water rinse cycle. the difference in coe's should pop it right off.

you could always suspend it on posts in the kiln and heat up. sooner or later it'll come off.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Well, they say misery loves company. I just slumped a kiln-load of bowls for a show.... and fired at fusing temps. Nice mess. Sigh. I'm supposed to deliver tomorrow morning for an opening on Friday. I *hate* it when Mercury's in retrograde! :wink:
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: High Temp OOPS

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Paul Bush wrote:I just did a high temperature (1700 degrees for two hours) fusing in a stainless steel ring - coated with kiln wash and lined with fiber paper, and sitting on a sheet of 1/8" fiber paper. Some glass still leaked through and stuck to the ring. So I'm looking for any suggestions as to how I might be able to get the fused glass (3/8" by 12") out of the ring without cracking it.

I'm suspecting this may have to become a table top, but thought I'd check in with the experts first.

Thanks,

Paul
Well I dont pretend 2B an expert

More of an apprentice, with the glass the master

I suggest sawing the ring

Then soak in water

Grind / file at the glass

Gently ease out the metal where it is loose

Next time try a slow creap up n lower soak

Also have slit in the SS slightly open with same set up

With supports arround it or wired up

A few weights on the rim may help

U dont mention the glass

But at those temps I expect the glass 2B realy runny n disolvey
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:
Paul Bush wrote:I just did a high temperature (1700 degrees for two hours) fusing in a stainless steel ring - coated with kiln wash and lined with fiber paper, and sitting on a sheet of 1/8" fiber paper. Some glass still leaked through and stuck to the ring. So I'm looking for any suggestions as to how I might be able to get the fused glass (3/8" by 12") out of the ring without cracking it.

Thanks,

Paul
Well I dont pretend 2B an expert

More of an apprentice, with the glass the master

I suggest sawing the ring

Then soak in water

Grind / file at the glass

Gently ease out the metal where it is loose

Next time try a slow creap up n lower soak

Also have slit in the SS slightly open with same set up

With supports arround it or wired up

A few weights on the rim may help

U dont mention the glass

But at those temps I expect the glass 2B realy runny n disolvey
The glass is Bullseye COE 90. And yes, it is runny, which is the reason for the high temperature - so the glass moves and flows and the colors combine. I just need to figure out a better way to keep the glass away from the ss ring.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

charlie wrote:i'd try popping it into the freezer or the dishwasher on a hot water rinse cycle. the difference in coe's should pop it right off.

you could always suspend it on posts in the kiln and heat up. sooner or later it'll come off.
Thanks for confirming what I thought I would try. I'll pop it into the freezer this morning, and see what happens. If all fails, I'll split the ss ring as Brian suggested, and see if I can't pull it away from the glass.

Ah, sweet mysteries of life!

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Next try painting the fibre with rigidizer n bat wash n use a few layers of fiber + the split SS

At these temps the glas is realy corrosive