ANOTHER Tile Saw Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jan de Jong

ANOTHER Tile Saw Question

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hi!

I did follow the postings of "Tile Saw Question".

When I had enough money, I did sell the recommended saw, but.......

But it's only my hobby, so I want to ask you this:
Do somebody knows the mark P.I.T (when I have it right it will means
Productional , Industrial and Technical Group ??)

http://www.tip-werkzeuge.de/werkzeugtec ... _tech.html

This firm has some cheap Tile Saws. And they sell belt saws (cheap)
And a cheap product is not always the best choice (yes I know, therefore I ask this !)

Has somebody tried one of these P.I.T Tile Saws/Belt Saws ?

Please let me know, Janus
davebross

Post by davebross »

If we're talking abut the tile saw sitting on the shelf in the pic on that page (I'm language impaired for that particular language)than it looks like the same one that Harbor Freight sells for from $60-80 US. I've got one of those, and have been very happy with it for big rude hogging it out sort of things, but one drawback is that the arbor size is 1" so that cuts you out of using any lapidary blades for finer work. It's a 7" blade on that and a 1" arbor on a blade that small is unusual. You usually find 1" on a 20" blade. As it is you have to use the blades they supply and they are thick, coarse grit blades so it leaves a wide cut with deep scratches that take a lot of polishing to get down to the point where you could remelt the glass without bubbles from the scratches. That saw has a ton of power and mine has given good service. I have actually carved shapes with it, the blades are so thick they will stand up to this sort of side loading. The table will rust after a few years and the plastic parts are cheap. I took all the blade guards off mine so I could put thick stuff through it from any angle. You do get covered in debris though.