Using Aluminum for Draping

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ross

Using Aluminum for Draping

Post by Ross »

Well, that's the question. Someone gave me a great piece that would be perfect for draping. It's about 12-14 inches tall. It's made of aluminum. CanI use it?
Cynthia

Re: Using Aluminum for Draping

Post by Cynthia »

Ross wrote:Well, that's the question. Someone gave me a great piece that would be perfect for draping. It's about 12-14 inches tall. It's made of aluminum. CanI use it?
I don't think so. The melting point of aluminum is just around 1200 F.
charlie

Post by charlie »

it's perfect for forming a clay slab onto, and then you can use that as your mold.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Ross - depends upon the alloy but I can't think of an alloy that melts higher than 1100 F. If it's unalloyed, the melting temp is arond 900.

Greg - the Alcoa Guy
Greg
gone

Post by gone »

charlie wrote:it's perfect for forming a clay slab onto, and then you can use that as your mold.
Nope, the glass will trap the clay. They should really be made of stainless steel. You can stack them or prop them up to make them taller, if you can't find the right size. I bought one at Ikea, just in case I might need one (they'd have to do some serious pleading). Right now, it's holding some stringers.

Els
Ross

Post by Ross »

OK... thanks everyone. I will bag that idea! Ross
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Aluminum is soldered, welded at about 950 degrees.Very little room for error before it turns into a puddle.