Relocating to Albuquerque

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Crystalsmith

Relocating to Albuquerque

Post by Crystalsmith »

Hi, all!

I'm not sure, but I think this is a business topic.

It's been a while since we have been on, because we have relocated from Los Angeles to Albuquerque. We are now in the process of looking for property, finding a "Day Job", and in general figuring out how to resume life in a strange city.

Does anyone know a source for glass kilns anywhere near here? I was going to purchase a 24"x24" (square) from Rainbow Glass, but I'm really concerned about shipping charges. I could sure use any advice on purchasing equipment and supplies here, also.

Thanks,
Lisa
"It is by the taking of Caffeine that I set my mind in motion"
Dani

Post by Dani »

Are you buying wholesale or retail? Colorado has two wholesalers that might be worth the drive for you if you're buying on a regular basis.
Crystalsmith

Post by Crystalsmith »

Hi, Dani!

Yes, thanks, I will be buying wholesale. In L.A. I focused on Jewelry, since I only had an 8x8 test kiln, but I expect to be doing more architectural work here, ie. tiles, lampshades, sconces, wall sculpture, etc. Do these wholesalers also sell kilns?
"It is by the taking of Caffeine that I set my mind in motion"
Dani

Post by Dani »

Yes, you can order kilns through both D&L in Boulder and Artisans in Denver. Do all your kiln research here.... lot's of discussions and numerous links above. Then see what they can supply. Be sure and call for both their catalogs. You might also want to check the larger kilns at Denver Glass Machinery. And lucky you, to be so close to Rio Grande jeweler's supply!
gone

Post by gone »

Sometimes, kilns are shipped directly from the manufacturer. No matter where you buy it, they just have it drop shipped from the company that makes it. I ordered one last year from Fusion Headquarters (good deal on Evenheats) and instead of coming from Oregon, where Fusion Headquarters is, it came all the way from Michigan, because they're made after you order them. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter where you live, get the kiln you really want and have it shipped to you.

Els
Dani

Post by Dani »

Unless, of course, you're close to the manufacturer in which case you pick up the precious little darlin' yourself... especially if it's a custom. :wink: