Cerium Oxide (How to use)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

KellyG

Cerium Oxide (How to use)

Post by KellyG »

Would someone please point me to a site that will tell me how to use cerium oxide. I purchased some, but it came in a baggie with no directions.

Also, I ground up to 800 grit disk. Should I go higher before using the oxide? I'm looking for something JUST short of a fire polish.

Thanks ...Kelly
lissa

Post by lissa »

Kelly, I think how you use the cerium oxide is dependent on your equipment, are you using a wet disc grinder/polisher? If so you will need to get a felt or cork disk that fits your machine. You then 'charge' the disc with a paste made from the power and water, work that paste into the surface, let it dry overnight, and then keep wet when working adding more paste to the disc as needed. Same method is used of your are using a dremel type device, get a felt tip and go from there. 800 should be a sufficient finish to work cerium oxide as he next step. Cerium oxide can really get quite a nice polish. Sorry I can't direct you to a sight, did you do a google search?

lissa.
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

As Lissa said it depends on your equipment. I have a 4x106 wet belt sander. I use cerium oxide to polish the ends of the glass rods I use for feet. A 4x106 belt is to large to "charge" as Lissa does. All I do is put the cork belt on, make sure it is good and wet and start to polish the ends. When they are
good and wet I just dip them into the oxide and it picks some up on the wet end. I then polish away with the cork belt. I tend to do things in batch so as I work the belt it gets charged from putting the oxide on the ends. It does work and it puts a nice polish on the ends with little work with the belt.

Phil
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

Thanks Lissa, only purchasing info on google (just browsed thru 2 pages tho).

Have a wet angle grinder, have the felt disk and oxide too. Just no clue as how to use it. I've slumped a rather steep sided bowl and normally I just go to 400 grit then finish with tung oil for a dull satin finish. This bowl looks and feels more like marble and I want to get a higher polish on it.

1) As for the paste mixture, should it be mixed, say 1 to 1?
2) Is it the same consistency of pottery plaster or is it more like tooth paste.
3) Do you keep the felt wet at all times?
4) Can you see the glass polishing as you're working the oxide, or does it have to be rinsed first.

I was pleased with the design and color, but I don't want to ruin it with the final polish.

Thanks for the help.
lissa

Post by lissa »

First good thing to know is that it is pretty hard to ruin a piece with cerium oxide as it is pretty gentle, though effective.

1 & 2) One to one seems a bit thick, maybe two-three water to 1 powder, I've heard the analogy of whole milk or half and half, but at this point I just kind-a wing it.

3) Yes, you need to keep the felt wet the whole time you are working, though it can dry out in between uses You let it dry to 'charge' it). The lap wheel we use has a constant water source, as I assume yours does?

4) After a little while you can get a good sense of when the glass is pretty well polished, but you will want to rinse a few times to check your progress and look for any areas that need extra attention. The cerium oxide leaves a pink layer but you can just dip in H20 to clear it.

Hope this helps!

lissa.
lissa

Post by lissa »

Kelly, I just found this link, you need adobe acrobat to view it. These folks are really helpful, check out their site.

cerium oxide page:

http://www.hisglassworks.com/files/polishing.pdf
main page:

http://www.hisglassworks.com/

lissa.
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

Just love this board, or rather the people on it. Thanks for all the help.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

KAG wrote:Just love this board, or rather the people on it. Thanks for all the help.
Not read the His link

They usually got good info

There is a lot 2 polishing glass

I brief it is usual 2 go from 600 then pumace then cerium

If U can keep a thick pad of cloth on the wheel damp

This will achive evenivity of dampness

Damp + heat is good but feel the glass dont over heat

Alternate the direction of polish frequently

Enjoy
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

CRLaurence lists two grades of cerium. Kevin