Screen Printing Reusche paints

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cemoore

Post by cemoore »

Thanks db --

I think I may give the airbrushing a try. I've seen references to airbrushing the Reusche paints using the water miscable medium, so I'll look into that. I suppose I can create stencils from the same graphics programs I use for the screen stencil creation.

-- Cathy
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

cahearn wrote:Thanks db --

I think I may give the airbrushing a try. I've seen references to airbrushing the Reusche paints using the water miscable medium, so I'll look into that. I suppose I can create stencils from the same graphics programs I use for the screen stencil creation.

-- Cathy
I love to airbrush, but there are safety implications. Particularly with the lead-based Reusche paints I use. You'll need to buy or build a spray box. I wear a respirator, goggles, a 1993 Taco Bell Bullwinkle Painter's Cap (not for sale) and sometimes latex gloves when I'm spraying.

Screen printing is a rich technique. Don't want to give the impression that there's things you can't do with it. And my knowledge of it is strictly from what I read and observed. Airbrush can't compete w/screen process for production techniques ( my experience with production techniques is limited to 2 -100 piece magnet runs) because it takes some time to apply the paint with a little airbrush. Maybe Bert W. can refute that, as I recall he has some bigger spray application equipment.

What graphics programs do you use to create stencils? I like graphic programs.
cemoore

Post by cemoore »

db --

I'm teaching myself Adobe Illustrator (10). Its somewhat painful as I'm not a graphic artist and getting stuck on some of the industry terminology. I'm trained as a software developer/programmer so it shouldn't be so hard. I have used Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady in the past and that has allowed for some skills with Adobe software, but you get rusty so quick if you're not using it everyday.

-- Cathy