Need help hanging glass without frame

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Diana A

Need help hanging glass without frame

Post by Diana A »

Just got a job to create 3 20x20" glass panels for a new home and they want it installed "invisibly", i.e., with no visible framing. Never done this before, but I know a lot of you guys must have. Help! And thanks! :roll:
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Diane

is the glass opaque, translucent or transparent. If it is opqaque, glue something on the back with an epoxy like PC 7 or Bondseal 88.

If is is not Opaque I would use standoff hardware which is visible but minimal. Probably the ones that support the glass on the edge. You need 3 or 4 pieces. available at http://www.crlaurence.com Another minimal way is with mirror clips. The advantage of the standoff hardware is that it shoots light back through the glass because the glass is not against the wall.

I'm much more comfortable hanging the glass with a mechanical connection that has gravity working for you not against you. Glue makes me nervous.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
charlie

Post by charlie »

jackie's idea from a couple of weeks ago is a good one (using 2 square tubes that nest, weld a plate on each one, attach one to the wall, glue one to the back of the piece).

i have a similar idea i just used. it's been hanging for a week now without problems so i think it's going to be ok.

i found some 2" aluminium angle iron in the salvage yard. cut 3" pieces of it, 2 per panel. you should adjust this upwards for larger panels.

clamp together to form a U shaped assembly. drill 1/4" hole in the two pieces that are clamped together. fasten together with 1/4" machine bolt and nut. unclamp. drill two smaller holes in the side of one of the legs. glue using silicone 2 glue the leg without holes to the center of the panel. use plenty of silicone. wait 2 days at least, without moving the panel. then unbolt. using wall anchors and screws, attach piece with 2 holes to wall. rebolt both legs together.

this will mount the panels about 2.5" from the wall. if you want it to be mounted at a different distance, use larger/smaller angle iron. ensure that you can get your hand behind the panel since you have to rebolt the legs together. i used a long magnetized screwdriver to get the bolt back in when mounting.
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

I'm a firm believer in using french cleats for this purpose, clear acrylic if the glass is transparent. Check the board archives for details.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
charlie

Post by charlie »

Paul Bush wrote:I'm a firm believer in using french cleats for this purpose, clear acrylic if the glass is transparent. Check the board archives for details.

Paul
i do too. i actually made some up but it didn't put them far enough away from the wall. i suppose i could have used a chunk of 4x4".
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Any suggestion for something that can be put on a piece that is going to a show that will not be permanent and would not nail, or permanetely install the half of the clete that goes on a wall?

Stuart
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

charlie wrote:
Paul Bush wrote:I'm a firm believer in using french cleats for this purpose, clear acrylic if the glass is transparent. Check the board archives for details.

Paul
i do too. i actually made some up but it didn't put them far enough away from the wall. i suppose i could have used a chunk of 4x4".

I often times use French Cleats too, and when I want them further out from the wall, I screw (drill and tap) a block of aluminum to the cleat piece that mounts to the wall. My cleats are aluminum, so this looks better for my application than wood.
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Stuart- - - you need to find a set of 'skyhooks' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Clifford Ross wrote:Stuart- - - you need to find a set of 'skyhooks' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Clifford,
Are you referring to the clips that hang in galleries with the wire coming down that is attached to the piece.
The piece that I am thinking about doing would be about 1/2 thick and about 12 inches at the longers side. I would think that it would have too much weight for a small hanger like that.

Stuart
PaulS

Re: Need help hanging glass without frame

Post by PaulS »

Diana A wrote:Just got a job to create 3 20x20" glass panels for a new home and they want it installed "invisibly", i.e., with no visible framing. Never done this before, but I know a lot of you guys must have. Help! And thanks! :roll:
I don't like glue either.

How about something like this though;

You can find them here;
http://www.fairfielddisplays.co.uk/prod ... pports.htm

and contact them in the US at displays@voicenet.com
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!