keeping copper...copper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

keeping copper...copper

Post by slats »

I was recently at a glass show and saw a beautiful clear glass table with copper fused inside. The color was really light copperand shades of red...did not turn lack like it did for me.....Artist said he coats it with something but would not say what......any ideas?
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I have good results using original Unique Glass Paint clear from Unique Colors. http://uniqueglasscolors.com/glasoriginal.htm I clean the copper well, apply one coat clear and fire to full fuse for float glass. You can see pictures at http://photos.yahoo.com/tomwhite2

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
gone

Post by gone »

Spray A and Superspray also work for this.

Els
Bert Weiss

Re: keeping copper...copper

Post by Bert Weiss »

doctac wrote:I was recently at a glass show and saw a beautiful clear glass table with copper fused inside. The color was really light copperand shades of red...did not turn lack like it did for me.....Artist said he coats it with something but would not say what......any ideas?
I think a dip in borax solution works. Recipes in old archives. It is the cheapest way
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
bskirwin

Post by bskirwin »

Do you spray superspray or spray A directly on the copper and then cover with clear glass?? I am confused. Barbara
Brock

Post by Brock »

yes
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Also if you want more of the reds, torch the copper til, it glows then let it cool. Encase it in the glass so that air cannot reach it during the cast and you will get some very nice reds.
j.
deborahbur

How thick is your copper?

Post by deborahbur »

What thickness copper are you using? Or does it matter? If you are torching the copper first, it must be fairly thick copper?

Thanks
Cheryl Wade

Post by Cheryl Wade »

A very little wire wool placed on the copper will make it retain the colour and, although it doesn't burn away completely, doesn't show much. I don't know why it works though!
Cheryl
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

My guess about how this works would be that as the steel reacts when the edges of the glass are sealed it robs the oxygen it needs to rust from the copper oxide on the surface of the copper thus brightening the copper.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
bskirwin

Post by bskirwin »

Are you talking about using steel wool from the hardware store, and just a few threads around the copper or quite a bit more?????? Barbara
John

Post by John »

I also did a fusing of 2 pieces of 5mm with copper wire. some of the wire is a nice copper colour some have darkened looks very tricky but I shall try some of the other tips.

John
Cheryl Wade

Post by Cheryl Wade »

Barbara, yes ordinary steel wool. I've used it only when the copper is completely encased in the glass, I've not tried it for hangings. Just a small amount placed somewhere on the copper is enough. You could do a few test pieces to see how much you need - trying to describe "a small amount" is quite difficult!
Cheryl