How do you finish your glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rob Morey

How do you finish your glass?

Post by Rob Morey »

I’m looking for some ideas on how to finish my glass. I usually sandblast one or both sides before slumping and quite often when the bottom side of the slump, (the side touching the mold,) is the sandblasted side, it comes out very dull. I know that Jack Doppler uses Waco wood finishing oil on his work. I understand that it will last quite a while but eventually will need to be re-applied. I’ve been using clear spray enamel with fair success, however I am interested in hearing from others on how you finish your work.

Thanks
Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
Brock

Post by Brock »

There's a new procudt, developed by Curtiss Brock at ACC that is applied and rubbed in to sandblasted surfaces. There was a thread on it a while ago, I can't think of the name at the moment. It seems pricey, but can be diluted with mineral spirits, and a little goes a long way. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

Thanks Brock. I found the thread and the product is called Liquid Luster through HIS Glassworks.

Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Ed Hoys has a product available called Invisible Shield. It's a polymer coating that works well on sandblasted surfaces. Gives a less matte look and seals from fingerprints, dust, etc. I've used it and it works as advertised.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Some glassblowers I know use Armor All.

Lynne
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Try automotive clear-coat. It takes sun and weather better than anything else. 8) 8) 8)