New Photo Recycled Art Glass Vase

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

suntoys

New Photo Recycled Art Glass Vase

Post by suntoys »

I'd like to know what you think my new glass work.

The vase is made from 100% Recycled Art Glass 104 COE. The vase measures about 7" tall x 5 1/2" wide at the top and 3" at the base. Rolled in confetti made from the same glass and frit. The interior is a Royal Cobalt Blue and when held to the light it is Ruby Red.

For more information about the Recycled Art Glass, please visit my website http://www.MoreFunStuff.com
SunToys
Brock

Post by Brock »

You'd probably get more responses with pictures of fusing. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Chip

Post by Chip »

Suntoys,
The vase itself is intriguing. What process did you use? Was it an existing vase then rolled?
Last edited by Chip on Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip
Micah 6.8
suntoys

This is my art

Post by suntoys »

This is an example of what I do for a living and I would like to know if anybody liked my work. I also do fusing, casting and slumping. I do recycling and would like to get other people involved. I'm offering a free sample of the recycled glass used in this vase to anybody who wants to try the glass for themself in their art projects. I ask artists to contact me via my website http://www.MoreFunStuff.com. I just finished and my intentions were to get people invloved. Yes, I do sell my works and the glass but would really like to know what people think.
SunToys
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

I'm a new member and would be happy to share my fusion and techniques to other members. What would you like to know? I work with 104 COE soft glass which is unusual for kiln fusing but I've been doing it for years and will probably be doing it for several more. The COE of this glass is compatable with Morretti but I am not sure if anyone is using this COE with anything but beads. If you are, please contact me. I intend on doing some pendents and magnets and will post my works. Thanks for the suggestion and interest.
SunToys
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

This technique is hot glass, crucible at 2200 degrees, annealing oven at 1000 degrees. We dip blow rods into the hot glass in the crucible, shape it, blow a bubble in it and roll it in the colors. In this case - we made confetti glass in the same manner as mentioned above except the bubble is blown so thin that it bursts. We take this confetti with the colored frit of the same compatability and lay it on the table made of marble and roll our hot glass vase that we made over it. Heat it in the glory hole and continue to shape and then into the annealing oven. The results are what you see. Hope this helps with any questions you might have had. Thanks for showing your interest. I'll be posting more stuff on my website and information about kiln processing with our recycled art glass.
SunToys
Chip

Post by Chip »

Cool! Or should I say, "Hot!" :D

The blue cobalt is the blown part, and then that is rolled in the frit/confetti?
Chip
Micah 6.8
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

Yes, the Cobalt Blue is a blown vase and then rolled in the confetti and frit while it's hot. The most interesting part is that I use the glass as a cullet - all colors mixed together. And this particular vase appears ruby red when held to a bright light.
SunToys
Chip

Post by Chip »

It looks so "fragile!"
Chip
Micah 6.8
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

That vase is about an 1/8 thick and weighs about a pound. It may look fragile but it's very durable.
SunToys
molly

Post by molly »

suntoys: You are SOOOOO Talented! What a beautiful piece!!!!! I only do small jewelry pieces, but would love to chat with you about your techniques and supplies. I am SURE I could learn a LOT from you, if u want to talk.... :wink: You surely will be a success with artwork like that!
lissa

Post by lissa »

Hey Suntoys. Great work. We work in 104 too. I do some in bullseye, but our main work is in 104. We make murrine using the kiln and torch w/ Moretti glass and then incorporate it into fused pieces and torch made marbles (see our website below). We are in the beginning stages of setting up a small hotshop. Small crucible furnace kiln and small glory hole we will make. We would love to use our murrine in hot work too. Where do you get your recycled glass and how do you know it is 104? Is it your own scrap? Do you find the cullet produces clean glass to work with? What's your hot glass set-up? I would love to hear more.

lissa.
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

Compatability with glass is easily tested by taking 2 small pieces of glass and heating them together with a torch until they are obviously fused. Then stretch the 2 into a long sting. If the pull stays straight the glass is compatable. If it bends or twists it is not. The bend is caused by the faster cooling glass pulling the other into an arch. This technique is really quite simple and I use it to test compatability before we do our art projects.

I've been collecting the same glass from the same facilities for over 10 years and it has all been compatable. Melting degrees vary but not the compatability. I find that in my kiln fired work that the clearer the glass the lower the melting point.

Thanks for your inquiry any questions are always welcome.
SunToys
quill

Post by quill »

Very nice. I really like the the bowls you have pictured on your website as well.