Rounding edges on wine bottle for a glass...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Scotty

Rounding edges on wine bottle for a glass...

Post by Scotty »

Was wondering if I need to grind & then polish by hand (as I don't have a wet belt sander), or if a wine bottle (1.5 Liter Clear) cut w/bottle cutter can be fired (to round the top drinking rim) to use as drinking glasses. If firing is possible maybe a guess of a firing schedule? Thank you'all for helping with the simple question but am a bartender & have access to so many bottles.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

If you fire the bottle, it will distort and change shape long before the edge gets shiny and well rounded. Most likely, you'd need to smooth the rim by hand.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Scotty- you can use a "stained glass" grinder to get the cut bottle even and then use emory cloth to smooth it.
I've got the sander- where do you tend bar? We could trade.....
Marty
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Thanks you guys for setting my mind straight. I haven't been in PA & NY for about 20 yrs., but do wish I was there. I've been stuck in St. Pete., FL at a downtown bar (been working here for 12 yrs.) & ALL are welcome.