freezing in PA

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

twinkler2

freezing in PA

Post by twinkler2 »

Burrrr I'm freezing in my studio (garage) and so is the water in my equipment. Has anyone ever used an anti freeze mix. Someone suggested this and I thought I would ask the experts.
I am adding heat and insulating the area so that I can work out there, but I'm not sure if I can stop the freeze :)

any thoughts?

thanks
me kim
Bert Weiss

Re: freezing in PA

Post by Bert Weiss »

twinkler2 wrote:Burrrr I'm freezing in my studio (garage) and so is the water in my equipment. Has anyone ever used an anti freeze mix. Someone suggested this and I thought I would ask the experts.
I am adding heat and insulating the area so that I can work out there, but I'm not sure if I can stop the freeze :)

any thoughts?

thanks
me kim
Kim

Antifreeze is a good idea unless your pets have access to the water. Diamond coolant is essentially antifreeze.

My wife was a Nittany Lion. She envies you living there.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

Thanks Bert

I have a Golden Retriever, Eli, but he doesn't drink the water. He keeps my feet warm :) Where would I get Diamond coolant? is that safer for pets- incase he would want to taste.

I grew up right here in State College. I left once for about a year and came right back. Great place to live and grow up. I'm still growing up :) Ask her if she remembers The Phyrst ? and nothing beats the Creamery for ice cream :)

Hope you can come for a visit, I'll re-introduce you to the sites. A lot has changed. How long ago was she here?

Kindly,
Me Kim
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Get RV Antifreeze, the type they use to keep the pipes in motorhomes from freezing. It's food safe.

Ron
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Regular antifreeze is very sweet tasting, dogs and cats love it. It is deadly.

Ron
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

How about the windshield wiper fluid?

Just a thought
I'll look for the RV stuff

Thanks
me kim
Marty

Post by Marty »

Me Kim (you kim?)- if it's that cold in your studio, stop trying to work, make yourself some hot chocolate and figure out NOW how to insulate your shop. You WILL cut or otherwise damage yourself.
Something as simple as plastic sheeting and a couple of space heaters will raise the temp into the bearable range (unless the temp is near single digits in which case have some more hot chocolate and plan the next pieces). Marty
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

And it was ONLY 63 degrees in Myrtle Beach today.
ME Kim- insulate and get a propane heater of some kind. 8) 8) 8)
Chip

Post by Chip »

If you have natural gas at your location, an inexpensive no-vent heater is very, very helpful. Not only does it heat, it humidifies the air. All the new ones have oxygen sensors so you won't "suffocate".

Also, Prestone makes a pet safe antifreeze now. You can get it at almost all auto parts stores, Wal Mart, etc.
Chip
Micah 6.8
dee

Re: freezing in PA

Post by dee »

twinkler2 wrote:Burrrr I'm freezing in my studio (garage) and so is the water in my equipment. Has anyone ever used an anti freeze mix. Someone suggested this and I thought I would ask the experts.

any thoughts?

thanks
me kim
me kim, my studio is also inhabiting the space most people use for a garage and even here in the southeast it gets almost as cold as home :? a good insulated garage door, insulated window and a coleman radiant heater that attaches to a large propane tank make it comfortable to spend a couple of hours on a water spraying tile saw :lol: i found the coleman radiant heater 2 yrs ago online, i crack the window for fresh air when i'm using it for any length of time, usually only need it when i need to do tile saw work, otherwise my kiln keeps the studio fairly decent unless it's really trying to imitate new england down here :? this will make cutting glass better - sheets don't break nice when they are cold - and keep you from stressing your system and getting sick...

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com