Pimp my kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alexis Dinno

Pimp my kiln

Post by Alexis Dinno »

I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread about hacking, upgrading and otherwise souping-up a kiln. What are some improvements to think about?

For example, I am using a Paragon GL type kiln. Might I consider replacing the spring-style heating wall elements with quartz tube elements? Or how about replacing the brick with some sort of fiber paneling? (Neither being something I am actually planning on doing, the kiln works fine for my purposes, but it's a fun exercise to imagine what is possible.) Or how about rigging a powered or passive ventilation system for the kiln?

Of course there's always the custom paint job... you know: flames and racing stripes, or perhaps an airbrushed hottie reclining amidst images of one's favorite beer. ;)

What are your ideas?
Marty

Re: Pimp my kiln

Post by Marty »

"...the kiln works fine..."

Until it doesn't, or until someone gives you a "project" kiln, make glass. If you have time to think about decorating your kiln, you're not working hard enough.

On the other hand, a knitted kiln cozy might be nice.
Marty

Re: Pimp my kiln

Post by Marty »

Actually there's been lots of discussion on replacing and repairing this and that- take a look at the current Denver Kiln thread in tech.-n-tools- and the merits of one thing over another.
Bert Weiss has been threatening us with a book on kilns and kiln building for years.

As far as decorating, most of us think about a shrine to the kiln goddesses near the kiln but I suspect that few have done it.