UL certification

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

eiodice

UL certification

Post by eiodice »

Hi,

Has anyone made wall sconces? Or lamps? If so, have you submitted the products for UL certification?

Elaine
Bert Weiss

Re: UL certification

Post by Bert Weiss »

eiodice wrote:Hi,

Has anyone made wall sconces? Or lamps? If so, have you submitted the products for UL certification?

Elaine
Elaine

I once looked in to it and they told me it would cost $2000 for the first year and $1000 a year from then on.

There are less expensive laboratories, but I have avoided the issues up till now. I make glass sculpture that is installed near a UL listed fixture.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Marty

UL

Post by Marty »

I think you'll find that most of us who've marketed lamps have used UL-rated components, and followed UL procedures, but not gone through the process. I also looked into it and found it prohibitively expensive. The alternative rating agencies were cheaper but not enough. I had no problem selling my lamps to craft galleries but I found myself cut out of the mainstream lighting market because they "needed" the UL. A liability issue?

Anyway, I got bored and moved on to bowls and platters.....