ceramic glazes for glass,,,,,,,,?????

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rodney

ceramic glazes for glass,,,,,,,,?????

Post by rodney »

are there glazes that are used with ceramics that can also be used in glass castings or fusing

thanks

rodney
lohman

Post by lohman »

Yes, Rodney,
I've used low-fire ceramic glazes and underglazes for years. Most low-fire glazes are designed for cone06 which is more in the 1900 F range. Test-fire all your glazes. Most are not food-safe especially since you will in effect be underfireing these glazes. If you want to use them on dinnerware you can cap them with more glass. I would suggest firing to top temperature before capping in a second firing because of trapping gases which may not be desireable.

Here's a tip: there are underglaze pencils which give a really nice "hand-drawn sketchy line" If you sandblast the glass first, you can draw with the pencils and then fuse.

Look at <http://www.justoriginals.com>

Find me under "L" from the alphabetically listed roster of artists: Lohman, Eugene

Good luck.

ps. sorry my link isn't working but the url is correct.
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

Rodney.

Duncan or Reward under glaze colours could work. with Duncan from memory I think series 'DN' or 'EZ ' would be best ...series 'CC'. could be a problem because of the extra clay content used in this series....the only to find out is run a test...
Colin
Bert Weiss

Re: ceramic glazes for glass,,,,,,,,?????

Post by Bert Weiss »

rodney wrote:are there glazes that are used with ceramics that can also be used in glass castings or fusing

thanks

rodney
Rodney

Sunshine and Summerday series are china paints that mature +/- 1500ºF. They are compatible with all the glasses we use as the thin layer of color is not a killer.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

If you are using e.g. the Duncan underglazes on glass, should you fire to the cone temperature listed on the bottle, or should you fire it lower?