Kiln lids

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

BobB

Kiln lids

Post by BobB »

Does anyone know how Evenheat or Paragon kiln lids and sides are made? I was wondering if there was some type of metal reinforcement that keeps the bricks together or is it held together with just the furnace cement?

:roll:
Thanks,
BobB
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

no cement on sidewalls- just pressure from outer band of stainless steel.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

For most round or oval top loading kilns, the lid bricks are cemented and held together with a tension band around the outside edge. The side bricks are just fitted and dry stacked together and the outside skin is stretched around and holds everything under tension. Badly cracked lids can be repaired with kiln cement but it requires taking the lid apart. New lids may be available.

Unless side bricks are really badly damaged they will still work. They can be replaced but you have to take the kiln apart. If you have to remove the elements to replace damaged bricks count on replacing them too. Once used, elements are brittle and usually break if you move them too much.

Ron
BobB

kiln bricks

Post by BobB »

I'm planning on building a crucible furnace out of the same bricks kilns are made of. I want an arch top and am trying to figure out a way to insure the arch will hold. I thought maybe drilling through the bricks in the arch and using a metal rod inserted through the arch to give it support. I think cutting the bricks in a keystone config it would support itself and add a tension band over it (like in kilns) it would work.

Any more input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
BobB