Best product for writing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

suzette B

Best product for writing

Post by suzette B »

I recently saw some fused glass hangings that had well-known sayings written on them. The writing was in a black substance that was kind of a hard "foam-like" texture. The letters were extremely precise, similar to writing on a cake. This was not frit or enamel. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The artist wasn't willing to share. Thanks.
suzette
Jan de Jong

Re: Best product for writing

Post by Jan de Jong »

suzette B wrote:I recently saw some fused glass hangings that had well-known sayings written on them. The writing was in a black substance that was kind of a hard "foam-like" texture. The letters were extremely precise, similar to writing on a cake. This was not frit or enamel. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The artist wasn't willing to share. Thanks.
It is difficult to say, as I did no see these glass hangings with the writing.
But perhaps "Figuro" from the firm PROvetro has been used ??
I did just buy this product and have not use it till now, so I can't let you see what it does. But from what you tell above, it is likely (from what I have seen in the shop where I buy this product). "Figuro" has more colours, not only black. See: http://www.tgk.de/katalog/245-246.pdf
If you are interested, I will place an image, when I have use it. Janus
Bert Weiss

Re: Best product for writing

Post by Bert Weiss »

suzette B wrote:I recently saw some fused glass hangings that had well-known sayings written on them. The writing was in a black substance that was kind of a hard "foam-like" texture. The letters were extremely precise, similar to writing on a cake. This was not frit or enamel. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The artist wasn't willing to share. Thanks.
It is difficult to tell from your description. There are numerous enamels that can make writing. There are raised enamels that will go on thick like impasto. Traditional glass stainers enamels like Stencil Black can be mixed with clove oil and used with a split nib writing pen. Stencil black can also be brush painted with various mediums.

You could write with BE frits by putting down an adhesive like fusing glue and sifting the frit over the glue writing and then dumping off the excess.

Silk screening works. Lampworking glass stringers. There are lots of ways to make it happen.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Dani

Post by Dani »

I just did several dozen fused glass peace quote plaques for a show.... mine were hand-lettered with Reusche paints mixed with glycerin and applied with a nibbed pen.... like the kind used for pen & ink calligraphy.
suzette B

Post by suzette B »

Thanks for the tips. I'll investigate both more thoroughly.
suzette
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

Jan de Jong in The Netherlands said:

But perhaps "Figuro" from the firm PROvetro has been used ??
... See: http://www.tgk.de/katalog/245-246.pdf

I looked at the site. Unfortunately it is short on real information since it is not clear what kind of material is involved. i.e. glass, enamel, or ceramic powder. Further, nothing on compatibility is offered. It looks "interesting" but there is no American distributor listed.

The illustrations on the Figuro site reminded me of a new product I saw at GAS. That is "Glass Line" by Clay Art Center in Tacoma. I can't find it on the web site
http://www.clayartcenter.com/index.htm
It is a ceramic powder in squeeze-pen bottles for use on/in glass. I bought their sample set, but have not finished experimenting with it yet.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
gerry newcomb

Post by gerry newcomb »

Clay Art Center 1 800 952 8030 sells a line of colors called Glass Line . Its a water base color that comes in a small bottle with a fine tip and can make a wonderfully thin flowing long, line . One could easily do lettering this way. Do on sheet glass and sandwich on on top. Good luck. Gerry