slumping and super spray

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Andrea

slumping and super spray

Post by Andrea »

I just fused a piece of bullseye and I ended up with a small area of devit. I was wondering if any of you have tried to use super spray on the devit and slump at the same time?
Would I be better off coating with super spray and going back to full fuse then slumping in another firing?
I did not put any spray on the first fuse. Thanks for your help.
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

I have not tried doing both at the same time, but do not believe it would be successful. Even though the maturation range of Super Spray is stated as being 1300 to 1700, I have never heard a report of Super Spray maturing at a temperature in the lower part of the range. I take the glass back to fusing temperatures when I use Super Spray. Jerry
KILN-TEC

slumping and super spray

Post by KILN-TEC »

I agree with Jerry. We have tried using super spray while slumping Spectrum, and it does not get hot enough at slumping temperatures. You will have to fire to fusing temp.
Rich Edelman http://www.kilntec.com
Carol

Post by Carol »

I've used borax solution when slumping float glass...I can add that it doesn't mature at 1230.
Vic

Post by Vic »

There is a "bending" spray that matures at 1100.