Saw for cutting pattern bars

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

neekoo99

Saw for cutting pattern bars

Post by neekoo99 »

Hi all,

Just looking for suggestions for saws that can cut thick (~1 inch) color pattern bars. I have a gemini taurus II ring saw, which is just not up to the job. I've heard talk about a new, not insanely expensive saw out that can cut bars, but having trouble finding info about it. Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!

Nick
neekoo99@yahoo.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

What's insanely expensive? I just bought a 2 hp tile saw for $675.00 CDN.
Look for an MK 101 or equivalent. Runs about $800.00 US. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Saw for cutting pattern bars

Post by Brad Walker »

neekoo99 wrote:Hi all,

Just looking for suggestions for saws that can cut thick (~1 inch) color pattern bars. I have a gemini taurus II ring saw, which is just not up to the job. I've heard talk about a new, not insanely expensive saw out that can cut bars, but having trouble finding info about it. Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!
I cut pattern bars with an inexpensive tile saw (under $100), which was purchased at a local hardware store. The 7" blade will handle 1" thick bars, so long as I take it slow and don't cut for too long at a time. I used the blade that came with it at first, but have replaced it with a better blade that was made for glass.

If you're going to cut lots of pattern bars, you'll need a more powerful unit, like the MK101 Brock mentioned, which has a 10" saw.

The MK website has a wide range of saws, including videos of some of the models in action: http://www.mktilesaws.com/

I would never use a small glass saw to cut pattern bars -- it's a waste of diamond.
neekoo99

Post by neekoo99 »

Thanks for the tips - I'll check out the MK 101 ... sounds like what I need.

- Nick
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Nick-

Check out this link. It is for an MK-100 which is a 10" saw as well, but it is considerably less expensive than the 101. It also comes with the stand and the shipping is free. Really great deal, got one for myself.

http://www.toolsdir.com/shopping/featured.asp?id=2125

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
neekoo99

Post by neekoo99 »

I appreciate the feedback, Lisa ... definitely a nicer price, and it helps hearing a positive review from your experience. Thanks!

- Nick
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

you can always rent a mk 101 from home depot if you want only $14.00 a day.
terry
Davidknox

i happen to like the QEP 61000

Post by Davidknox »

I like the QEP 61000 because I can change the
rpm's via the belt and slow it down, it's 2HP and it's about $500 or less at the Depot. It comes with a stand but I like a more stable structure to get smoother motion. I don't like the little pumps that seem to be on all of them and like to really flow the water so I use a big transfer pump and make a mess. I also use an additive inthe water which speeds my cutting.

I have never used the MK's because of price versus HP but I use their blades- the MK- 215 particularly. I have used the 215-GL- the special glass cutting blade and found it to be too slow and it produced too much friction in my glass. Nicer edge but it might bog down in 1" thick bars. maybe.

Happy hunting.
David