Looking for kiln info for "new" owner of an old fu

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carolina Cricket

Looking for kiln info for "new" owner of an old fu

Post by Carolina Cricket »

Hello, all. I am brand new to this board...and I am very excited to find you. I have worked in cold glass for many years, also clay. Altho I experimented with warm glass sporadically over the past few years, I have recently ventured into glass fusing again and am soaking in information! I even have a kiln for fusing! That brings me to my need for assistance.

I have long used an EvenHeat kiln for clay and been very happy with it. (My vote is with Gil!) I have also used it to slump bottles with success. I realize pottery kilns have limitations when it comes to glass. I was excited when an old friend gave me his glass fusing kiln which was not being used but was occupying much needed space. It came without a manual, however. My friend used it long ago, and doesn't remember the details. Firing logs long discarded. It does not have the wonderful programming controls which I enjoy with my EvenHeat kiln...it does have several control knobs.

The identification plate on the fusing kiln reads:
Bullseye 20.20 Fuser
Bullseye Glass Company
(street address)
Portland, Oregon
240VAC 30A PH 1 H2 60 KW 7.2
Serial #___
Element 0183
Manufactured for Bullseye by Marathon Kilns, Healdsburg, CA

I am a member of another stained glass group, GlassEye. I have inquired about the kiln, availability of manuals, etc. No success to date. When I reached via internet a company representative from Bullseye, he was unable to help me. The kiln does have a peephole so cones can be used (I have gotten spoiled by the EvenHeat controll on my pottery kiln!). I am hesitant to simply start off experimenting with the kiln without some guidance. Meanwhile, a friend and I have been doing just that with her ceramic kiln...our glass fusing efforts have had very mixed results. From the giant bubbles described on this board to some really good pieces!

Any suggestions or leads regarding the Bullseye Fuser will be greatly appreciated. And if you have a similar kiln and a manual, may I share?

Becky (AKA Carolina Cricket)
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Find contact info here for Bullseye and get contact info for Marathon Kilns from them.

http://www.bullseye-glass.com/about/find.html