Talc

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Joe Ruelle

Talc

Post by Joe Ruelle »

Where can I get talc for strengthening the mold?Is the talc added only to the silica powder (200 mesh) and plaster slip coat? Or is talc also added to the silica sand (80 mesh) and plaster outer mixture. I do use chicken wire to reinforce the mold and this helps reduce the size of cracks.

Also, can cat litter be used as grog?

Thanks, Joe from Wisconsin
Judi Charlson

talc

Post by Judi Charlson »

I only use talc for the first layer or to make up part of the sculpture if I am encasing it in glass. It does not strengthen. It makes the mixture softer and smoother, I think.
I get talc from STANDRED CERAMIC in Pittsburgh. Any ceramic supply store.
Judi
charlie

Post by charlie »

how much do you need? some baby powders are 100% talc. some aren't, so you have to read the label.
Joe Ruelle

Post by Joe Ruelle »

I need quite a bit if I follow the advice found in the archives which said add 1/3 of the silica/plaster mixture, that is if it is needed in the outer layer. If I am able to us it only in the slip cover that would not be that much and talc baby powder would do the trick.

Thanks, Joe from Wisconsin
watershed

Post by watershed »

The siftable cat litters are moslty Bentonite. Which means it will strenghten the mold, but other than that I cannot comment.

Greg