kiln - breaker question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

reneewri

kiln - breaker question

Post by reneewri »

Hi! I just got my JenKen kiln (GS-11-E 120v 17 amp) and bought the 20 amp breaker for a dedicated line. My question is, can I use a higher amp breaker instead, so that I can run my shop light and light box off the same outlet without ruining my kiln or overlooading the line or does dedicated MEAN dedicated?? My only other option is to run extention cord from the one and only outlet available (way on other side of work area) and I was trying to avoid alot of cords. I'm totally new to all this as you can tell! :P Any suggestions? Thanks much! Renee
Glass Rainbows, Carrollton, GA
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

Hi Renee.

Most 120V circuits are wired with either 14 guage copper wire (good for 15amps) or 12 guage copper (good for 20 amps). With your kiln drawing 17 amps, you definately need a 20A circuit with 12ga wire. You also don't have much extra capacity, so I would not put anything else on the same circuit.

As long as you're putting in an extra circuit, it would not be much extra work to put in two new circuits and use the 2nd for lights and whatnot. Depending on your breaker panel type, you may be able to find a double breaker that will fit into a single slot - giving you two circuits without requiring more space in your breaker panel.

Larry
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

In addition to what Larry said, I would add that you must not put in a higher rated breaker. If you do that you can exceed the safe currrent capacity of the wires, which can lead to heat, fire and general despair. Run another outlet or extension cord.
Dayle Ann

Post by Dayle Ann »

I just bought a Jen-Ken kiln 15-6 with the same electrical requirements as yours. I had a dedicated 20 Amp circuit put in, on the advise of my electrician (who is a friend of my sil, so my costs were minimal, lucky me).

He also put in a separate 15 Amp circuit with three outlets for my lights, radio, fan, and possible future small machinery. Even if I'd had to pay him, the cost of the second circuit would not have been much more, even though the run is the full length of the basement (30 feet). Both circuits are GFCI protected, btw (my workshop is in our unfinished basement).

I am glad we did it this way. I'll feel a lot more secure and comfortable running my kiln.

Dayle Ann