Ok, who did it?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry flanary

Ok, who did it?

Post by jerry flanary »

Has anybody made anything of the spun glass fiber from home insulation yet?
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

yep. it pretty much dissapears. did a test between and one under. rosanna
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I've heard of a recpipe to make your own fiberglass batt. Heat a crucible with a hole in the bottom with a million BTU burner. The burner is placed so that it will blow the glass exiting the crucible in to fiberglass. You have a steel barrel placed so that it picks up the batt. The slower you turn the barrel, the thicker the batt gets. I don't know how you have to flux down the glass to get it to do this.

I was once looking in to what you could do with bottle glass to recycle it in to something useful and that was the answer I got. Since I never heard of this actually being done, I don't think it is too practical.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
watershed

Post by watershed »

Ya know Bert, That sounds suspiciously like how they make cotton candy. Not that it wouldn't work, and that's probably where the idea for fiberglass came from.

Greg
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Those dang sugerguys get to do all the cool stuff before the glass people-http://www.pastrywiz.com/sugarart/sugarswan.htm

Well thanks, Rosanna, you saved me some serious goofing off time. I knew somebody had to have done it. Still it seems like you could pack it in a mold and a flower pot and make something. You could even just stuff more in the pot hot without pre-heating; it's not like it's going to crack or explode...
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.