glas globs aka dragon tears

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

linda s

glas globs aka dragon tears

Post by linda s »

Has anyone tried fusing these glass globs/nuggets that you see at the stained glass stores and craft shops? I feel an "experiment" coming on.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You can fuse them to each other, but without testing them, you have no way to know what type of glass they are made of or what the COE is. You may find that you can't find a compatible glass to fuse them to.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
jj jacobs

Post by jj jacobs »

I fused some blue and green "blob" accents onto float glass windchimes once....the chimes with blue blobs cracked but the green blobs did not....
JJ
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I fused yellow for a center of a daisy with white opeal stained glass around the outside no breaking of either glass, non compatable. You just have to experiment.....
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

I have tried lots of different combos ( globs to globs, globs to float glass, globs to BE,SP,URO) All eventually craked. Some cracks weren't visible to the naked eye but under spectro... lots of stress. I now make my own glob in the kiln. BE and URO both work great. Making my own takes time but in the long run I get wonderful reliable finished product.Lia
cindyj

Post by cindyj »

I tried a few experiments and quickly gave up. Make my own globs now with scrap glass. Easy to do and then you know what you have and you get great different color combos.
rosyruth

Post by rosyruth »

You might try this also. I pick out just one sheet of glass that has many different colors in many different areas, including large portions that have just one color area. You really have to look through a lot of glass to find sheets like this. I then cut out prime areas and small detailed areas, the idea that the small detailed areas are for globs and unique small pieces.
The theory is every part of the glass from the same sheet should be compatable - make globs or small pieces, then tack or full fuse them to the larger pieces of glass left from the same sheet. I love agate-ee looking sheets. Mostly, it works. Use an overspray - many of these sheets are not meant for fusing and love to "dit". Good luck!
Any one out there using Chicago art glass for this - I am but would like to talk with others who have had success with this unique glass.
regards - Ruth