Filling Holes

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Denli

Filling Holes

Post by Linda Denli »

I had a slight disaster so smashed the pieces, which had already been fused and slumped at usual temperatures, and put them into a pot holder and melted at 1650 to form a new piece of swirly coloured glass which has been shaped and sandblasted with a view to slumping into a bowl - so my questions are:-

1. how should I fill the little holes which are the result of popped bubbles on the surface?

2. Should I fire polish one or both sides before slumping?

3. What schedules should I use as this piece has already been in the kiln three times?

The glass is all spectrum 95 and it is one half inch thick and any help would be much appreciated as the colours really work well together and I'd like to turn it into something special....if possible!

Many thanks and regards

Linda
Linda from London
charlie

Post by charlie »

1. i use clear frit, but anything the same color as the rest of it should work too. you can also refire to 1650 and they'll fill in most likely, or you may get more of the m come to the surface.

2. yes. whichever is going to be the top surface of your eventual object

3. same as your normal schedule for a piece of that thickness. thicker = slower.

you'll have to dam it somehow if you take it hotter than slumping temps, or it will change thickness by expanding in diameter.