How to slump it?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Anna

How to slump it?

Post by Anna »

http://www.vetrograd.com/image/DSCN1188.jpg

Hi all!

It is a detail of the 51cm(diagonal) square plate, 5mm, Spectrum96.
I want to slump it into the 50cm diameter round mold, 5cm depth.
I'm afraid the "tails" will fall down before the slumping of the whole
piece. Another Q is: is it OK that the corner of the glass piece is 1cm out
of the mold? Will it slide down?

Anna.
Cynthia

Re: How to slump it?

Post by Cynthia »

Anna wrote:http://www.vetrograd.com/image/DSCN1188.jpg

Hi all!

It is a detail of the 51cm(diagonal) square plate, 5mm, Spectrum96.
I want to slump it into the 50cm diameter round mold, 5cm depth.
I'm afraid the "tails" will fall down before the slumping of the whole
piece. Another Q is: is it OK that the corner of the glass piece is 1cm out
of the mold? Will it slide down?

Anna.
***My conversion of metrics to inches may be wrong...If I am wrong about the measurements...ignore me altogether, but if it's right...this is what I am thinking.

The overhang of 1 cm (*less than 1/2"?*) shouldn't give you problems. The piece will begin to drop in the center and the edges will slip within the parameter of the mold.

I think your concerns about the "tails" is a valid one though. 5 cm (about 2"?) is pretty shallow, so it might not present too much of a problem. It will depend on the shape of the mold and how far out from the body of the piece the "tails" extend.

If it looks like there is a long drop for the tails before the tips touch the mold, you might get a lot of distortion...but I am thinking that if the mold is similar to a ball mold, the tips should touch the sloped side of the mold soon enough to hold them in position as the center of the piece starts to bend into place. Does this make sense? What I see in my minds eye, and how I try to explain it aren't always in sync. :wink:

Have you considered ways to prop them up during your bend? You might be able to place a bit of fiber board under them just beneath the tips so that as the body of the piece bends, the tips are held up...but as they get pulled more to the center, they could slip off the fiber board and drop into place. This is a way to drape a piece of glass over an inverted bowl mold where you place the blank on props and as it drapes down onto the mold, it eventually slips off of the props.

Just a few thoughts. :)
Anna

Post by Anna »

Thank you, Cynthia!
Your advices always help me.

You are right, 1" is about 2,5 cm. The longest of tails is 6 cm, but it almost
touches the mold. Short ones I will prop. If they will not run aside, it
will work.
The mold is just a big round plate without any relief.
I think it has to be low temp slumping for a longer time.

Thanks.
Anna.