Relief Fusing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lori

Relief Fusing

Post by Lori »

In the latest Glass Craftsman, Robin Evans wrote an article on glass mosaic and she says you should do a fast relief fuse of the dichroic strips. Does anyone know the specifics of how to do a relief fuse and at that a fast one? This is a new term to me.
charlie

Post by charlie »

i haven't read my issue yet, but could she mean a tack fuse?

i think they usually print the email addresses of contributors somewhere in the article or masthead. you could ask her directly.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

She's a member here on the board - you could PM her if you want. But in her article she defines a relief fuse as more rounded than a tack fuse, but not as flat as a full fuse.

Jackie
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

Hi Lori:

Jackie nailed it - in the article I mentioned various stages and a relief fuse to me has more rounded edges than a tack fuse. Here's my firing schedule for a fast relief fuse for the up to 8" long x 1/2" wide dichroic strips you see on the piece in the article:

800 DPH to 1100
Hold 15 min
600 DPH to 1250
Hold 20 min
600 DPH to 1410
Hold 10 min
AFAP to 960
Hold 30 min
200 DPH to 750
No hold

I get nicely rounded edges and a surface shift on the dichroic that I like using the above. Have fun.

RobinE
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
http://www.robinevansstudio.com