Buying a lap grinder for UK?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

frizzygirl

Buying a lap grinder for UK?

Post by frizzygirl »

Hi

I am interested in buying a lap grinder and live in the UK. I haven't made up my mind between the CrystalMaster Pro and Glastar B12, but wanted to know if I bought a US version, would I be able to use it with my transformer I have for my Taurus Ringsaw I also bought from the US?

I know nothing about electricity but believe you have to take amps or something into consideration.

Any advice for which model would also be appreciated as I have never used one before. I mainly want it for grinding, not polishing as I tend to fire polish everything.

Thank you in advance.

Tracey
Buttercup

Re: Buying a lap grinder for UK?

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Tracey, you'll probably get answers from more knowledgeable people but for what it's worth, when I returned to Oz (220-240v supply) from North America (110 v - 120V) single phase, I only brought those tools that showed 50-60 htz on the label because North America uses 60 htz and Australia uses 50htz, as does UK. A 50 htz tool might work with the transformer you use with your Taurus ring saw. I bought a Taurus from the US after I moved back to Oz but don't use a transformer with it as it was made for 220-240v. It does use an adaptor plug. Check the specs before you order anything. The supplier might have a 220-240v model available.

Good luck with it, Jen
frizzygirl

Re: Buying a lap grinder for UK?

Post by frizzygirl »

Thanks for the reply Jen

I spoke to an electrician in the end and it was far too complicated to buy a US version so have bought a UK volt version. Will have to wait 2 months for it to arrive though. Still patience is a virtue I believe.

Best wishes
Tracey