I need water in my studio

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

lorwolff

I need water in my studio

Post by lorwolff »

This may be the wrong forum for this, but I'll give it a try.
I would like to figure out how to create a set up where I can wash my hands, glass, brushes, and containers from wet or dry powders and whatever else. I would like to have that in my garage/studio.
I have an old utility sink. I can run a hose, or pump water from a bucket into the sink. My biggest concern is drainage. I need the used water to drain into something large enough to let solids settle and doesn't need to be emptied too often. I might even siphon of the water to my outside drain.
I keep thinking there might be someone here more creative than me who can give me some direction. I have looked online, for self contained sink systems, but that didn't work too well. There really wasn't anything simple.

Help if you can, please.
Stephen Richard

Re: I need water in my studio

Post by Stephen Richard »

Look at sinks for ceramic studios. I don't know the name, but they have two chambers. The water flows out of the top of the first chamber into the second. You can also have the second drain into a second series of settling chambers (although a bit of over kill) before going into the drain.
You need to have an easy means of emptying the settling chambers periodically.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I've got a water source but no drain in my studio. I've got one of those basic utility sinks on legs which is tall and wide enough to accommodate a large bucket on wheels underneath. I think it's the kind of bucket janitors use when they're mopping floors. It holds enough water that I can't lift it, but I can easily roll it out to my side yard. It even has a spout so I can just tip it to let the water flow out. The solids collect in the bottom so now and then I scrape them into the garbage. Not the most sophisticated solution but it's the best I can do right now.
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Valerie's solution is a settling chamber on wheels
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

If you get a sump pump (they come in various sizes and flow rates) and set it in the bucket on a platform that is high enough to keep it off of the solids once they have settled (you can also put a screen on the intake), connect a hose to it and run it to your regular drain, out the door or through the wall, then all you have to do is flip the switch to drain out your water when you need to. I've used a number of sump pumps for various jobs around my place, from draining the crawl space under the house to draining water in garbage cans holding water from the down spouts to recycling dog wash water in our dog tub. They can pump several feet up as well. Always handy to have one or two around. :D

You can also get small hot water heaters, either the type that goes in a trailer or the instant hot water type or the portable types used at car washes and dog washes, that you can use to have warm or hot water from a cold water source (hose fed).

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

http://little-giantpump.com/where_to_bu ... _pumps.htm
Obviously do not run dry etc.
They'll also pump water for saws etc from a bucket.
Judd

Post by Judd »

My plumber hooked up my utility sink, and placed a drain so the water would simply drain right out on the ground in the back of the house. I put some screen mesh on the drain so small animals wouldn't crawl into my basement.