Corelite kiln shelf questions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Gail L

Corelite kiln shelf questions

Post by Gail L »

I just received a corelite kiln shelf. Do I need to do anything special before using it ? It didn't come with instructions. I read in older threads to heat up at 200DPH. Does this mean when firing glass that I always need to take the shelf into consideration and ramp whatever project I'm working on, at 200 doh ? Do I need to kiln wash it and heat it up ( what temp ) to break it in. Also, there is a texture to it. Its not smooth like my other shelves. Can I sand it and make it smooth ? Do I want to do that ? Is this the tradeoff for the lighter shelf ? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Corelite kiln shelf questions

Post by Brad Walker »

We haven't done anything special with the Corelite shelves we have, just used them the way we would any other shelf. But the ones we have are fairly small (13" square, 13" x 26"). The slightly rough texture isn't really an issue and it does seem to smooth out over time. We generally don't fire anything faster than 300 dph, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to go slower the first firing.

The manufacturer (Resco Products) says they're more resistant to thermal shock than normal shelves, but they also claim they're smoother than normal shelves, which hasn't been my experience. They recommend no greater rate than 200 dph for their large shelves, which is probably good advice if your shelf is 24" x 36" or larger. Here's some info: http://www.dlartglass.com/pdfs/Corelite ... elines.pdf

The Dyson shelves (now I think called Extruded Shelves), which have a similar look but are much much heavier and larger than the Corelite shelves, do require a slower initial firing.
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I have several Corelite shelves and did nothing to break them in. The largest ones that I have are 25 1/2" in diameter and I have probably used them for at least a hundred firings without any problem. I usually heat them up before spraying them with kiln wash so their resistance to thermoshock seems to be pretty good.
Dick

Post by Dick »

The main reason for an initial firing is to make sure all water is out of these. On the Dysons they retained some water from the extrusion process, so a one time firing is needed to drive out physical and chemical water. much like a bisque firing. Firing is below. Sanding is ok, and the more you scrape and recoat, the smoother it should get.

***All temperatures are Fahrenheit***

1) 50 degrees per hour to 200 degrees and soak 3 hours.

2) 50 degrees per hour to 525 and soak 2 hours.

3) 100 degrees per hour to 1100 and soak 1 hour.

4) End/Natural cool down.
Gail L

Post by Gail L »

Thank you very much Brad and Dick. I'll go ahead and fire it. I appreciate all the info and you taking the time to answer ! The Warm Glass board is still the place to go when you want (accurate) info (IMO) Thank you again !!!