How to prepare small stainless steel mold ?????

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

How to prepare small stainless steel mold ?????

Post by candala »

Okay guys, I bought 3 small biscuit makers from Target that are stainless steel. What do I do when I take them out of the package to prepare it to be a mold? Do I heat it first to 500, then when it cools, kiln wash, let it dry and then I'm ready to put in glass? Please advise, step by step without too much technical jargon. Thanks. Also, I have 2 regular molds that I purchased from a stainless steel place. Do I coat with kiln wash first and fire to 500 to prepare those? Help, it's firing day and I need help. Thanks.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You have to be careful about stainless steel molds. If the walls are steep, you may not be able to get your glass out of it after you slump. If you are draping the glass over the stainless steel, then the technique is to wash well, heat to 500°, spray kiln wash (easier than brushing with a hot mold) until it starts to appear wet. Reheat and apply again until you get a uniform coat. Reheat one more time then let cool. Lay your glass on top of the mold and drape away.

If the mold is shallow or has sloped sides, you can also slump into the stainless steel... same process as above.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

I use Bullseye kiln wash and methyl hydrate. No pre heating the mold. Mix kiln wash and methyl to the right consistancy, a litle thinker than normal. Brush on mold covering everything well. It will run over the sides and look very thin. Seal up all methyl hydrate products ( the fumes are very very flammable) and put them away. They set the mold on fire. You will get an almost invisible flame. You will see the kiln wash drying as the flame burns out. You should do this to the mold on your kiln shelf. You don't want to have to move the mold around ( thin layer of loose powder when burned out) I use my mold at least three times before re-coating.Lia
Carla

Post by Carla »

Does this heating and spraying of BE kiln cause the drying wash to give off any toxic fumes.

As a metalsmith we always worry about fumes when things are heated. Hence the question.

Carla
mostly a metals jeweler
with a touch of glass
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

On larger stainless steel bowls I also drill 1 - 3 small holes in the bottom to help venting.
Heat the bowls, coat with kiln wash

And if I'm laying the glass on top to slump in I also use a layer of thin shelf paper to aid the glass in sliding down. It also makes it easier to move around after the slumping has started if it's off center.

I also like the ruffled effect it gives a larger bowl...

JC