Tack fuse more glass stress than full fuse?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cliff Swanson

Tack fuse more glass stress than full fuse?

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I want to form a blank of two 3 mm, 12x12 sheets, one of which is Uro granite irid clear. I'd like to maintain the texture in this sheet, so I am going to process it at something less than a full fuse temp/time. I'm using Spectrum 96 glass, and my normal anneal for a 6 mm 12" square is: full fuse then AFAP 1000/10 min; 300 dph/955/60 min; 100 dph/800/off. Do I need to adjust my anneal process to account for the fact that the two sheets will not have fully fused?

Cliff
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Cliff,

Keep in mind that even with a tack fuse, the contact surfaces between the two sheets should still be fully fused, so your schedule should be adequate. If you had a third layer of smaller pieces applied during the tack fuse, then you might want to slow down your ramp through the annealing range... and maybe even increase it to 750° rather than 800°, but it should be fine the way it is.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

Muchas gracias, Tony! :D