BE Glass, Stringers & Glue Mess

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tom suter

BE Glass, Stringers & Glue Mess

Post by tom suter »

I fused a 12 inch plate clear base and 0116 Turqouise. I put black streamers in a vertical and horizontal layout. I used white glue on a toothpick in about four places on each long stringer and two drops on the shorter stringers. Put in the kiln, was going up 450DPH to 1100 had the peep hole open and a 1/2" gap on the lid to vent the fumes from the glue. Went down at 600 to close peep hole and looked inside. Where the glue was it had turn into a black puddle. Why? I have used this glue alot on different projects and never had this problem. Right now I got the plate in water trying to get the black stuff off the plate. Any ideas would be helpful. I am going to try again with some black noodles cause I can get all the glue under the width of the noodle later and will use glastac instead of white glue. :?: Thanks Tom
Kitty

glue mess

Post by Kitty »

you mean you stopped the kiln at 600F because you saw the black spots? if so, you could have just let it continue on, and the white glue would have been burned off. white glue is not the same from brand to brand, and within a brand, like Elmer's, it won't necessarily be the same thing every time you buy a bottle. it's better, i think, to use Klyr Fire, or Glastac, from Bullseye. they burn off 100% clean. i think you can stop soaking that plate, put it back in the kiln, and fire it as usual, and the glue should vanish. kitty.
Marty

Post by Marty »

The glue burns off at about 800F. Patience. You might also try diluting the white glue a little with water.

If you can pre-slump the top layer of stringers you won't have to worry about them moving around in the kiln. Do it over a torch or candle.
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

I would never use white glue if that's the glue we call PVA in this part of the world... it may contain some thicking agents that could leave black/grey carbon marks...I have found the best glue for holding things together is cellulose wall paper paste ( Polycell brand) will fire with out any trace ...and because it contains some kind of fungicide you don't end up with a green growth if kept for any length of time. Colin