Glass Compatibility?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

GlassOrchid

Glass Compatibility?

Post by GlassOrchid »

This is a hot glass question but does overlap a little.... the local high school has a glass blowing program and the teacher stopped by to ask if I can help them get some glass as they ran out of glass and money <smile>. He said that is doesn't matter what the COE is as he melts it all together in the crucible and then just uses it. I have no experience with glass blowing but this sort of alarmed me as it goes against what I've been taught and read. Is it really not a problem to mix any old glass together like this????

~Nancy
C.onfused O.n E.xpansion
Marty

Post by Marty »

He's just making a new glass of unknown COE. No problem (like fusing an unknown with itself) unless he wants to add color.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Glass Compatibility?

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

GlassOrchid wrote:This is a hot glass question but does overlap a little.... the local high school has a glass blowing program and the teacher stopped by to ask if I can help them get some glass as they ran out of glass and money <smile>. He said that is doesn't matter what the COE is as he melts it all together in the crucible and then just uses it. I have no experience with glass blowing but this sort of alarmed me as it goes against what I've been taught and read. Is it really not a problem to mix any old glass together like this????

~Nancy
C.onfused O.n E.xpansion
He could also add a very small % of oxides

Lots more on this over craftweb

But this may well eat in2 his pot
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

mixing different kinds together in a crucible is sort of like homogenizing it, and the resulting COE is the average of the component types. it works for blowing, but that's about it.
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Kitty wrote:mixing different kinds together in a crucible is sort of like homogenizing it, and the resulting COE is the average of the component types. it works for blowing, but that's about it.
If it were only that simple. Depending on how hot and how long it's melted, it could be lower than the average... or even lower than the lower COE.

If it's not adequately stirred during melting it could also be cordy.

The smaller the melt, the harder it is to get it homogeneous.

Lani