Millies for Fusing?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SarahM.

Millies for Fusing?

Post by SarahM. »

Millies for Fusing~

anyone know who makes them and where is a good place to buy them?

Thanks!
Sarah
Jan de Jong

Millies for Fusing

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hi!

I want to learn so much as possible. Can't find the translation English-Dutch for "Millies". Please can you explain what it is ?
Janus
Brock

Post by Brock »

I believe Sarah is referring to millifiori, (Italian for thousand flowers) hot worked and drawn rods of glass with a pattern running throughout the length. Many people use these rods in their work by nipping them to length, then arranging them on a shelf and firing them. Mel Munsen is one great example of an artist working in this area. North West Art Glass, in Seattle, has many types available. Not sure of the COE.
Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Sherry Salito-Forsen

millies

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

Ed Hoys carries some, not many patterns available in 90 COE
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Art Glass House carries Gillefioris in 90 coe also Millefioris but they are 104 coe.

Judy
SarahM.

millies

Post by SarahM. »

Thanks for the input everyone. Perhaps I should of said: murini
(thanks for the clearing that up Brock)

I am still a newbie to fusing, I am very familiar with flameworking and flameworking supplies and suppliers....but when it comes to fusing...you could say I am still figuring out the "Winships & Frantz" of fusing/slumping. My local stained glass supply store carries Bullseye and Uroborus glass... but not everything I need. So perhaps if any one of you could recomend a good catalog or website for supplies...it woud be soo appreciated.

This board, it's members and Brad's book...have been so very helpful...thank you.

:lol: Sarah
Eugene Glass Alliance
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Sarah: If ou're used to doing lots of flameworking, why don't you make and pull your own murrinis from whatever glass you need it to fit. You've got it all under your finger tips. just give it a go. It'll give you a distinctive look that others that don't have your capabilities can't offer. Tenn. Tom
chris webb

Post by chris webb »

Sarah I agree with Tom, as a matter of fact that is exactly what I've been doing. Been flameworking doing mostly beads for a coupla years and recently have really fallen in love with making murrini. So far all of my murrini have been made with moretti glass but as I love fusing almost as much as torchwork I plan to start making alot more using 90 glass. The problem is the palette in 104 glass is sooo much more extensive than the 90 glass and it is cheaper. Haven't yet decided if I will go in one direction or the other or just keep doing it all. I'm lucky as I have myself on a nice slow time table just concentrating on learning all the things that interest me and seeing what I actually might have some natural talent for. Will be eligible to retire in a little over 3 years, after which I will be able to spend much more time on my glass addiction. 8) Here is a link to the first murrini I actually made all by myself, that is without my good friend and teacher of murrini (Beth Olson) holding my hand :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthr ... did=110017
have a great day
chris webb
you know you're a great dane lover when....You hear running water you jump up and yell OUTSIDE!
Paula

Oregon Coast Class on Millies and Murrini

Post by Paula »

:lol: One of the people that signed up for our class gave me the link for this question!

On June 18 in Bandon Oregon, we are hosting a class in making murini's

The class will be at least 8 hours. Open torch after class and a barbeque.
Cost of barbeque will be split. Starts at 8:45 am till??????

Beth Olsen is nationally known for her ability to teach this art. Signature cane instruction is included.

We have space for two more students, beginners are welcome and will use a hot head torch. Six oxy/propane setups are already taken. if you prefer, bring your own.

We have Moretti glass available. We furnish black and white. If you are a fuser and want to use bullseye glass, it is available for purchase.

Class is $150 no refunds, you may have someone attend in your place.
Email me for more info. This is a group of glass crones not a commercial venture
Procrastination is a creative force. I amnever more creative than when I am avoiding something....
chris webb

Post by chris webb »

Paula, ya'll will have a ball and learn alot in the process!!! Beth is endlessly patient and talented and a hell of a nice person to boot....wish I could come
chris
chris webb
you know you're a great dane lover when....You hear running water you jump up and yell OUTSIDE!
Ross

Post by Ross »

SarahM.

murrini

Post by SarahM. »

I am always impressed by the responses on this board... :D
I never really thought to try and make my own.... :idea: :idea:
I'm not sure how good they would come out! But I could take a class...

Thanks for the inspiration-if I do make one..I'll be sure to post it...or perhaps I'll see you at Beth's class.....

Sarah

p.s.
nice picture of your work Chris!