Air Brush recomendations

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Does Michaels also have a compressor on sale? Could be kind of frustrating for someone to get home with their $40 airbrush and wonder what to hook the tube up to.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

heh heh...

no..but Harbor Freight does for $69.00.
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Lorelei wrote:heh heh...

no..but Harbor Freight does for $69.00.
Also check out http://www.airbrushcity.com

They have a couple of models of decently priced airbrush compressors including a model with a 2 gallon storage tank to ensure consistent air flow
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

One probelm with the compressors made for airbrushes is that many of them can't provide a continuous supply of 50 psi air that is needed to push the micas and enamels through the airbrushes.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Hi Tony-

What compressor do you recommend for the Aztek 4709?

Thanks,
Pat
Roy Marshall

Post by Roy Marshall »

Lorelei wrote:Michael's stores are liquidating their stock of Azteks and selling them off at $40. One girl says she even got an additional price reduction at the counter and ended up with a $20.00 price tag. I got mine for $40.00 last week. Scoot out to your local Michael's and be sure they look in the back room. That's where they found mine after they'd said they didn't have any.
I just checked at the Michael's in Beaverton OR and they said they'd heard nothing about this. They still have them for $159.95. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

If all you are going to do is airbrush with it, you can go to Home Depot or Sears and buy their smallest compressor for $100... but as soon as you start talking about sandblasting, you need to consider a number of other factors like what do you want to do with the sandblasting... For "general purpose" sandblasting, you want to start looking at 5 hp and larger compressors. If you are going to etch dichroic glass and blow off kilnwash, you can get away with a much smaller compressor, but the tradeoff is time and versatility.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Tony Smith wrote:If all you are going to do is airbrush with it, you can go to Home Depot or Sears and buy their smallest compressor for $100... but as soon as you start talking about sandblasting, you need to consider a number of other factors like what do you want to do with the sandblasting... For "general purpose" sandblasting, you want to start looking at 5 hp and larger compressors. If you are going to etch dichroic glass and blow off kilnwash, you can get away with a much smaller compressor, but the tradeoff is time and versatility.

Tony
I wouldn't stop there. Compressed air is a wonderful asset to the shop. Buy the biggest compressor your wife will let you. Pipe the air everywhere your wife will let you. Get air gadgets.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

db wrote: I wouldn't stop there. Compressed air is a wonderful asset to the shop. Buy the biggest compressor your wife will let you. Pipe the air everywhere your wife will let you. Get air gadgets.
If you have a husband rather than a wife, then it would be easier.
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

If you have a husband rather than a wife, then it would be easier.
Not if you have my husband!

I'm the tool/gadget freak in our house - lol

sadie