multi-layer shelves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sslickk

multi-layer shelves

Post by sslickk »

HI,

Does anyone have any experience stacking shelves in the Evenheat "coffin"? I need to fire polish 15 pounds of 10 mm square thin bullseye pieces.

If I put a layer directly on the bottom (using fiber paper) and then a layer of kiln shelves above that, I figure I can get 4 cut up sheets in at a time. Or nearly.

Am I going to have a real uneven batch ie top layer will be more exposed to heat than bottom and thus "fired more" than the pieces on the bottom?

Thanks,
JC
"Without art we are merely monkeys with car keys" Joe Grant
Jim Robins

Post by Jim Robins »

I have stacked shelves in my Skutt coffin. You do have uneven heating occurring since most of the elements are in the lid. When I stack I use two shelves. The glass on the top shelf will full fuse while the glass on the second shelf will tack fuse. So I arrange my projects accordingly. How consistant do the pieces need to be?

Jim
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

HI,
Basically I just need to polish/eliminate sharp edges on little single layer pieces.

My usual single layer fire goes up to 1400 w/ a 5 minute soak.

I was thinking to use only the side element,, it would add heat up time but might give me a more even result. Only the ones nearest the edge would be "more" fired? This isn't real critical. They're pieces that are being used in silver jewelry.

I've got a contract with one of the Bali silver manufacturers.

JC
"Without art we are merely monkeys with car keys" Joe Grant