Air Purifiers - Ionic or HEPA? Any advice?!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Shell Kurtis

Post by Shell Kurtis »

What does everyone use for air purification in their studios? I've been reading about these Ionic Breeze systems that have a Stainless Steel filter that can be cleaned and re-used but I wonder if this will do the job. How heavy and what size are the particles we produce from grinding, cleaning up thin-fire or kiln wash, sandblasting, sifting powders, enamel and the like? This Ionic breeze device will filter .03-50 micron size particle, does this range cover a warm glass studio needs? The HEPA filter replacements are so darn expensive that it makes this system look pretty attractive. It's approximately the same price as a good quality room size HEPA air purification system.

What do you do to purify the air in your studio?
Have you tried or heard anything about the IONIC Breeze technology?
If you are using a HEPA air purifier, what kind do you use and are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance for any WOWs (words of wisdom :lol: ) !!
Thanks!
Shell
:)
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

There are three major breakdowns in particle size:

Inhalable (> 10 um). These particles get trapped in the upper respiratory system by a variety of mechanisms (every wonder what mucous was for? :D )
Respirable (5 - 10 um). These particles get trapped mostly in the throasic region.
Respirable (<5 um). These are the bad guys! They go all the way to the lung and alvioli (terminal part of the lungs).

I am not aware that anyone has done particle sizing for glass work. Powder frit is 0.2 mm and finer so I'll bet that some part is respirable.

Any reason you just can't vent directly outside?
Greg
Paul Tarlow

Re: Air Purifiers - Ionic or HEPA? Any advice?!

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Shell Kurtis wrote:What does everyone use for air purification in their studios? I've been reading about these Ionic Breeze systems that have a Stainless Steel filter that can be cleaned and re-used but I wonder if this will do the job. How heavy and what size are the particles we produce from grinding, cleaning up thin-fire or kiln wash, sandblasting, sifting powders, enamel and the like? This Ionic breeze device will filter .03-50 micron size particle, does this range cover a warm glass studio needs? The HEPA filter replacements are so darn expensive that it makes this system look pretty attractive. It's approximately the same price as a good quality room size HEPA air purification system.

What do you do to purify the air in your studio?
Have you tried or heard anything about the IONIC Breeze technology?
If you are using a HEPA air purifier, what kind do you use and are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance for any WOWs (words of wisdom :lol: ) !!
Shell

Go for the HEPA.

Ionization might reduce some odors but it isn't true air purification. To the extent that ionizers pull particles out the air they do it by electically charging them so they'll stick to your walls, furniture, etc.

Check out this EPA article:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Also, beware that air treatment systems based on ionization produce ozone. That can be problematic if you have anyoen asthmatic in the house.

- Paul
Dani

Post by Dani »

These are comments I dug out of the archives from industrial hygienist, Monona Rossol:

"Glass paints and melting glass also release metal fume. Kilns should be vented. The best systems are negative pressure systems such as the ones Skutt sells. If you are a big studio with employees, you may also be required to get an engineer to design the system with a filter to capture the lead fume.

Grinding glass is also a source of lead exposure since lead chromate, lead molybdate, and a number of lead pigments can be used to color the glass. In addition, a bunch of other toxic metals are in the grinding dust. Those off-white opaque swirls in the glass are usually arsenic. The opaque bright yellow is cadmium. And so on.

Venting to protect workers who are soldering is not simple. Lead regulations being what they are, a large studio really should consult an industrial ventilation engineer to do it properly. If you are in business big time, you simply need to split off the $$ and do this right. You also will have the OSHA Lead Standard to contend with.

However, individual self-employed studio people who have no employees (so OSHA does not apply) can contact Nederman, Torit, or one of the manufacturers of HEPA vented solder station systems. Some of these are only in the range of $600.

I happen to have Nederman's information handy:

39115 West Warren Ave Westland MI 48185 734/729-3344 "
Shell Kurtis

Post by Shell Kurtis »

There aren't any windows in the basement but I installed a bathroom fan that vents out the side of the house. It doesn't seem to be all that effective. I'd rather be safe and comfortable while working! I'm going to give Nederman a call for more information. Thanks!

Shell

p.s. Thanks for the resonses, there's a lot of good information.
Thanks!
Shell
:)