Newbie - What do I need?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Chris - L.I.

Newbie - What do I need?

Post by Chris - L.I. »

I have the Kiln and the glass what else should I get? I need help with this so I don't purchase things I will never use. I tend to get carried away when I start something new. Thanks
Carol

Post by Carol »

A copy of Contemporary Warm Glass by Brad Walker to use as a reference. Welcome to the wonderful world of fusing...it's addictive.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i like the toyo pistol grip glass cutter. they last forever. get a little cutting oil for it, too. a bucket of Bullseye kilnwash would be nice. welcome to the club -- know you'll love it. kitty.
Paul Tarlow

Re: Newbie - What do I need?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Chris - L.I. wrote:I have the Kiln and the glass what else should I get? I need help with this so I don't purchase things I will never use. I tend to get carried away when I start something new. Thanks
Ditto the suggestion to get Brad's book.

As far as tools, materials and supplies -- that really depends on what you want to do. The shopping list for casting, for example, is different from the shopping list for slumping bowls.

- Paul
dee

Re: Newbie - What do I need?

Post by dee »

Chris - L.I. wrote:I have the Kiln and the glass what else should I get? I need help with this so I don't purchase things I will never use. I tend to get carried away when I start something new. Thanks
the morton cutting system and grid are excellent tools, brad's book is a must read, for tacking layers together on a shelf to hold them between work area and kiln, i like elmer's blue gel - you need just a tiny dab so fabric paint applicatiors from your local craft store with the screw on metal top with the very small holes are perfect glue applicators - a couple of rulers and before you fire your first piece, make sure you kiln is LEVEL! this is essential - raid the household toolbox for a level and check the kiln. also a glass cleaning agent - household glass cleaners without phosphorous or amonia are good, other people here have their own preferences - paper towels or lint free rags - lowes/home depot - a sturdy work table, good lighting, if you are on concrete home depot has interlocking mat squares which are wonderfull, they really help minimize leg/foot/back fatique when standing for long periods, a grinder is very usefull, especially when starting to cut glass, the grinder is our friend ;) a grinder with both a disk and the upright head is the best type as grinding longer strips/tile blanks, etc is more easily done on the disk and small pieces/curved sometimes work better on the upright grinding head, good kiln wash - be kiln wash is supposed to be very good or the hotline hifire kilnwash is also good, i use that - a supply of kiln shelves, a kiln shelf holder is a good thing to make - 110J fiber paper is very usefull, you can order this from brad also, fine point sharpie pens come in handy, and a box for all the scrap you are about to create....

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com